Discuss Downlight hole size. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

happyhacker

I have bought this Austin downlight from B&Q but some of the instructions are missing & cannot find the make online. I am not sure of the hole size. The distance between the brackets with the spring affair is 86mm. Any one know what hole size and how to fit?

Mayn thanks.

If you have a set of hole saws, remove the springs and try fitting the DL into a hole saw until you have a tight-ish fit. If distance between brackets is 86mm, 88mm would be about right.

Get yourself a sheet of hard thick cardboard and drill the holes you think may fit and choose the one that suits,simples :)

I usually throw away any manufacturers hole size recomendations, because I tend to fit them tighter than they suggest, and just scoure the hole a little with a plaster board saw where the springs push through

I bought six downlight surrounds a few week back from b & q and it said holesize was 85mm I think, well I used that size holesaw and there is so much play with the surround I feel that their suggested cutter size is way way to big for it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Get yourself a sheet of hard thick cardboard and drill the holes you think may fit and choose the one that suits,simples :)

I usually throw away any manufacturers hole size recomendations, because I tend to fit them tighter than they suggest, and just scoure the hole a little with a plaster board saw where the springs push through

Me too :)

So what you're saying Des 56, is that you work to finer tolerances than is required and exceed requirements :cool:

the size of hole also depends on thickness of material used I prefer doing a "test fit" in similar material to help size

my problem is i can't find a hammer with a head diameter of more than 2" ( that's 50mm to you young 'uns )

I tend to cut the holes to spec, and sometimes a couple of mil bigger if i dont have the exact size.

This also helps in lining them up dead straight if your cut is a bit out :D

Telectrix, I think a sledge is about 50mm! Thanks for your responses I will go for a tight fit as it produces a good end result. I see now that the thing works by forcing the long bit of the spring against the ceiling upper side. Any suggestions about preventing anything in the loft from getting near the unit (fire risk)? PS unit out of sale in B&Q hence no instructions (cost me fiver for 2).

if anyone is ever fitting commercial Igizini dowmlights 2x18w similar to thorn chalis they NEED a soft tile clip if fitting to celing tiles as the plastic clip fitted just rips the tile apart lUCKILY THEY ARENT EXPENSIVE AND READILY AVAILABLE oops capz

yeah, you push the long arm of the spring up through the hole with the short ends up to the underside of the ceiling, then push fitting in. the long ends then spring down on top of the ceiling. if the fit is not perfect, you can adjust from above. a good thing to add is a fire hood to keep the dreaded insulation away. make sure no insulation goes over the top of the fittings.

I was thinking of fixing one of those aluminium hobby boxes over it in the ceiling and earthing it. Would this be OK or is there a special part I can buy?

you will find that most downlights are class 2. ie, no cpc connected to the fitting. in that case n o need to earth your ali box

Reply to Downlight hole size. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net