Discuss Downlight installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a job to wire some downlights in a domestic property and have a couple of questions. The fittings are Luceco 230v 6w LEDs and the customer wants them fitted with dimmer switches. Can a standard dinner be used as I know the earlier LED fittings required a different type.
Also when doing the circuit calculations is it acceptable to use the loading of the lights fitted or is it the case of allowing for if the fittings were to be changed?

Thanks

IT is recomended to fit a dimmer that is compatible with the lights being fitted.
Are the luseco lights dimmable?

A common sence aproach to loading in lighting is required. The days of assuming 100W per light point are out of date even though it's still in the on site guide. Remember it's only a guide.

As above. The LED light must be dimmer-able. Is it?

If it is (check the Lucceo web site) then you'll need a compatible dimmer. Remember, many standard dimmers need a minimum load for them to work. Maybe 40watts, or more. So you would need quite a few 6watt LED fittings for the dimmer to be half interested in working.
Also there are two types of dimmer switch for mains dimming in your home; leading edge and trailing edge. Trailing edge switches work best with LEDs.

My favourite dimmer for LED lights is the Varilight V-Pro. Sold in lots of places.

always but dimmers from same supplier as you get the lights from. that way, if you have problems, you won't get one supplier blaming the other for any compatibility issues.

varilight are good. i had one of these dimmers working with just one 5w led downlight. u can also vary the min and max brightness if they lights are flickering at low or high settings

https://www.screwflix..com/p/varilight-trailing-edge-push-dimmer-1g-1-2w-300w-va/94816

Reply to Downlight installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock