• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Downlight spacing calculator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Could be useful. the interesting thing is that the calculator gives no method of ceiling height.
IIRC the amount of light that arrives at floor level reduces with distance, so that must mean that more lights are needed for high ceilings.

FatAlan

Trainee
Trainee Access
Usually governed by trying to get a symmetrical spacing that fits with ceiling joists.
Obviously you get more technical when considering ceiling height, lumens and beam angles.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
Useless, no accounting for chimney breasts, empty alcoves, built in alcoves etc etc.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Why inches ??

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
who had the common sense to stick to feet/inches/yards/gallons when the UK was obsessed with euoro phile rubbish.

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Of course the maths side of things works best when you got straight and flat walls. Seemingly a rarity. Otherwise what is mathematically accurate and spaced out well wont necessarily look aesthetically pleasing or accurate. you also have to factor the joists in to the marking out.
I have some thin MDF discs that i put some old chrome bezels on. when i am happy with the marking out, i stick these up with some little screws or double sided pads.
If I am happy then great, but I often get the customer to decide, and often move a few a couple of inches one way or another along the x or y axis, to get the visual effect

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.