Discuss Downlights and Loft Insulation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rod Hubbard

I have these downlights installed under loft insulation with halogen GU10s. They are marked as fire rated and fire rated under insulation, but the installation just doesn’t look safe? I’m wondering if i should convert them to LED bulbs (that's happening progressively as the halogens blow anyway) and put plastic cage covers, the SpotClip type, over them and better meet building regs?

Downlight2.JPG

as above. but get them halogens out. replace with GU10 leds. the closeness to the joist/s will not be a major issue then. and do not cover with itchy snot.

By all means change the GU10's to LED's BUT LED's will get hot too , so you need to prevent the insulation from covering the lamp.

As others have said they are too close to the joists!

There's a fire waiting to happen as said these halogen GU10 can have a temperature of 200 degrees put next to a dry wooden truss. I remember in my previous employment as a Q.S. seeing a fire rated downlight drilled into a joist electrician said to me well the light is fire rated ,yes it will prevent the spread of fire through the hole but it is more likely to start it said it all really.change it to LED GU10 and fit a loft box over.

UK's love of downlights carries with it a very significant carbon footprint.
Get them covered, but only if Led and then ideally only if insulation coverable ones. There are some integrated type which are specified for use that way, otherwise check out Icage for GU10.

Reply to Downlights and Loft Insulation in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net