Discuss Downlights in a kingspan ceiling in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sifter

New here guys so go easy on me haha!

doing a job just now and the client wants downlights fitted into a ceiling recently done with kingspan insulation. unfortunately the plasterboard is on now but i can wire it ok but not sure on the lights with regards to space for ventiliation. say the lights are a 65mm hole i wont get a much bigger hole in the kingspan. there is a gap between the board and kingspan, not sure how much though. 40-50mm at a guess

fire rated downlights? can't guarantee that if i put LED in that it'll always be LED that's used.

no not yet. but i should be able to fish above the ceiling. the plasterboard has been fixed to 2"x1" which has been branded below the joists so hoping i can get above no problem with the cables.

look into LED specific downlights, you can get them now that you can put insulation right over the top apparently. i wouldn't fit a GU10, chances are you'll put LED retrofits in and it will be ok as they don't get very hot, then a year down the line 70% of them will have popped and the customer will just throw in some 50W halogens which will probably start a fire if they are on alot if they are snugly fitted into insulation. infact how thick is the insulation?

double layers of around 70mm i'd guess. not doing it for a couple of weeks so i'll get a proper look tomorrow at how much space i have above and thickness of insulation

Building control may not be very happy with you chopping large holes in the insulation for your lights. Just a thought...

Building control MUST be sick of insulation related carry-on by now.Every time i meet them,there is a new view on the subject,more,less,air gap,no gap,they pumped it in for years now up and down the country people are stripping outer skins of brickwork and scooping it out.Dampness,no cavity....But seriously,it will heat up if you (or customer) squeezes a 50 watt lamp in a cosy kingspan void....and i've never heard of a BCO turning up and saying "you know what,you've got the insulation just right....":joker:

Building control may not be very happy with you chopping large holes in the insulation for your lights. Just a thought...

Who cares when you have spotlights to fit, I normally cut a 100 mm hole in insulation and let them board it then drill a
64 mm hole in centre for the (aurora) spotlight

I was in the wholesalers the other day and they had a new aroura fire rated downlighter that allowed you to put insulation over the top of it! Not sure how it worked tho, can you put insulation over the ansell icage downlights?

I was in the wholesalers the other day and they had a new aroura fire rated downlighter that allowed you to put insulation over the top of it! Not sure how it worked tho, can you put insulation over the ansell icage downlights?

seen those, are they the ones that say "care must be taken so that the insulation is only placed ontop, not packed around"

seen those, are they the ones that say "care must be taken so that the insulation is only placed ontop, not packed around"

Don't know mate didn't really pay much attention the guy behind the counter started saying something about them and I just switched off and tried to draw his attention to something else!!

Reply to Downlights in a kingspan ceiling in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock