Discuss Downlights lath and plaster ceiling advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been asked to put a load of downlights into a lath and plaster ceiling. Done plasterboard but not lath and plaster. Is it easy enough to do or will it be a right pain?

Its not too bad, often find though that when drilling the holes for the lights the lathe can flex a bit so you have to put a bit of effort in, also if you have that horrid grey plaster full of flint and stuff it can ruin a holesaw. I had a job last year where the lathe started smouldering from being cut as the saw got so hot going through it. if you are worried about the ceiling loosing its strength afterwards then a good dollop of fast drying glue or grab adhesive up in the ceiling on top the edges around the hole helps to strengthen it.

As above, factor in a new holesaw into the cost.
Brief the customer that the outcome depends on the age and dryness of the plaster. I have seen this job go fine and end in complete disaster when the plaster is so dried out it has come off in large swathes when disturbed.

Choose a fitting with a small cutout but with much larger outer diameter.
Also can you get above the ceiling?
If so cut up some thin pieces of ply with holes in. Then your fitting can push up through the board.
Good quality springs that nearly break your fingers are handy too

I’m with Midwest. The L&P downlight installs that I have down have been a right pain. Even with a new,sharp hole cutter, the laths are so dry they shear off in very inconvenient places.

Only take this sort of job on a time and materials basis.

cut from above.
If you can, yes.

The issue, from below, I found is that the old plaster very quickly will blunt the holesaw. So I used an old one to cut through the plaster, then a new, sharp one to cut through the lathes. It is a real PITA of a job, IMO.

If the ceiling already has signs of , or repaired cracks in it ; as @Andy78 be prepared - and warn your customer of possible disaster.
It is difficult to give a price for this sort of job , so take care.

It is a very tenuous thing to do. The outcome is very unpredictable. What is certain is that if you do manage to drill a clean hole, you can't keep putting the light in and out of the ceiling as the hole will deteriorate very rapidly. I hope the lights you propose have a large halo as this does help in concealing the first plaster of paris layer you hit that crumbles really easily. I think I remember seeing recessed lights that have a separate collar you can insert that obviates crumbling edges as they are contained within the separate collars inserted into the hole prior to fitting the light.

It is a very tenuous thing to do. The outcome is very unpredictable. What is certain is that if you do manage to drill a clean hole, you can't keep putting the light in and out of the ceiling as the hole will deteriorate very rapidly. I hope the lights you propose have a large halo as this does help in concealing the first plaster of paris layer you hit that crumbles really easily. I think I remember seeing recessed lights that have a separate collar you can insert that obviates crumbling edges as they are contained within the separate collars inserted into the hole prior to fitting the light.

Many years ago there were several manufacturers who made a specific collar for their DLs to use for lathe and plaster ceilings.

I have even seen one electrician use no nails glue to hold DLs in a lathe ceiling , all well and good until the next poor sucker has to pull down....

Been asked to put a load of downlights into a lath and plaster ceiling. Done plasterboard but not lath and plaster. Is it easy enough to do or will it be a right pain?

You have good advice there already. Would definitely agree the outcome is unpredictable. I have put plenty in where no filler or patching is required, and its always a sigh of relief, but only this week had a bit of disaster where plenty of plaster came away and left me with a mess to patch up - and that's no easy task once the plaster starts to separate from the lathes.

Go slow with the drill (on the plaster bit)

Agree to look for clues as to the state of the existing plaster, look for cracks and sagging, get on the stepladder and press the plaster to try and get a feel for its condition.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for the best down lighter to use to tackle lathe and plaster.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for the best down lighter to use to tackle lathe and plaster.
Hi - perhaps look for one that has a wide range of spring movement, like these for a GU10 solution :) .
Downlights lath and plaster ceiling advice please F9E9491B-FA03-412C-9FD9-E73E3E3CCCC4 - EletriciansForums.net

Went to do the job on Friday.
Warned the customer that it could potentially be very messy and parts of the ceiling could come down (worst case senario) to which the customer replied - will there be much dust as a couple of years ago we were going to have some work done and the other company found asbestos in the ceiling when they tested it.

My reply was sorry in that case I can not drill loads of holes in your ceiling to put downlights in. I suggest you look at getting a company in to replace the asbestos ceiling if you still want downlights.

Lucky escape I think. If I had not mentioned the mess would they have thought to mention the asbestos?

Went to do the job on Friday.
Warned the customer that it could potentially be very messy and parts of the ceiling could come down (worst case senario) to which the customer replied - will there be much dust as a couple of years ago we were going to have some work done and the other company found asbestos in the ceiling when they tested it.

My reply was sorry in that case I can not drill loads of holes in your ceiling to put downlights in. I suggest you look at getting a company in to replace the asbestos ceiling if you still want downlights.

Lucky escape I think. If I had not mentioned the mess would they have thought to mention the asbestos?
just wear a mask, then you can charge double. any comebacks..... it was not me in that mask. honest, judge.

Best way I found was to mix up a runny plaster mix and pour it from above where you are going to cut the holes,then leave it to dry. Then cut the holes from below.

Reply to Downlights lath and plaster ceiling advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock