Discuss Downlights lath and plaster ceiling advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Folks, I read this and was nervous as I had 5 to install. The job went really well so had to feed back:

Material:
Dewalt combo drill, tungsten carbide hole saw (the really sharp one which cuts through metal), few £ on eBay from china.
LAP Cosmoseco LED spots

1. Marked locations
2. Made some small holes with 8mm masonry but first (not hammer drill) to understand there was no beam where I intended to drill, adjusted accordingly.
3. The hole saw worked great, High speed, low pressure, perfect round holes, cut the plaster, lathes, even a few nails.
4. Holes were clean but material would soon loosen with repeated light insertion - removal so I PVA’d the edges- put plenty on exposed lath ends to keep secure. The edges are now like concrete.
5.The LAP LED spots accommodate a really thick ceiling so absolutely no issues with the install.

rob

Thanks for that info Mike J...always good to hear about new products. I may be old-fashioned in this, but i like to browse hard copy catalogues as that is often where i spot stuff i didn't know existed, and which is not so easy to do when browsing online. Indeed, another thread on here today about the quinetic range alerted me to a product i didn't know they made, but when the new catalogue arrives i'll be having a good browse!

Those downlight conversion kits have been around for some time, I used them first in a bedroom when the GU10 LED's first became available, just thought I spent a lot of time and money on Tungsten bulbs that blew with regular monotony, now days the LED GU10's seem to last quite some time in comparison, even the cheap one's from China.

We did a referb last year, downlights in L+P, we cut out a square cutting the laths just before the nails in the joists, builder repaired with plasterboard and filled in. Nice plasterboard to cut the lights in. Went back a few weeks ago to do a load of alterations. now it's painted you would never know.

We did the same there for the sockets and switches. With a section removed, this gave space to get a drill in the stud wall for a hole for the cables and also allowed space to securely fix a nogging in to fix the back boxes. Probably a bit drastic for small jobs but it works really well.

Reply to Downlights lath and plaster ceiling advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock