Discuss Downlights spacing, any advice ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

archee

DIY
Reaction score
Hi!

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how should I space the downlights on the landing area. I’ve read it’s meant to be 1 downlight per m2. However that doesn’t work with my landing and doesn’t look right.

i attached the floor plan of the landing and a rough idea how I spaced them out 500mm from walls and 800mm apart.

let me know if that looks right to you please

Attachments

• Downlights spacing, any advice ? 2B4B3A03-BA63-4F7A-BA16-738535348F74 - EletriciansForums.net
    2B4B3A03-BA63-4F7A-BA16-738535348F74.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Downlights spacing, any advice ? D26224C5-9C8C-466E-BDBB-A2E0E4C6361E - EletriciansForums.net
    D26224C5-9C8C-466E-BDBB-A2E0E4C6361E.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Downlights spacing, any advice ? A7BE0B68-89EA-498F-B588-F4C19FB80206 - EletriciansForums.net
    A7BE0B68-89EA-498F-B588-F4C19FB80206.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
Remember a lot will depend on the beam angle of the lamps you are using.

What defines downlight placment is normally the joist construction and placements!

You can do all the marking and calculations you want from below.... drill a small pilot hole, stick a rod up it (a broken cable fishing rod is perfect for this!) then go above and see where you're actually at and adjust from there. I normally try to use a centre dimension as a datum and adjust out/in from that point for all the others.

As above , you can spend 15-20 minutes marking out all your lights perfectly but I almost guarantee at least one will be right on a joist.
To be fair once downlights are up and even if they are a little bit out of position no one can ever really notice

Just thinking…. Good luck fitting them in at the high point of the ceiling. A big stable ladder and no fear of height?

It’ll be fine.

Remember a lot will depend on the beam angle of the lamps you are using.

bought these on Amazon wife wants it nice and bright in landing and hallway. Will fit them in and will see if it looks weird or not.

GU10 LED Bulbs Warm White 2700K 8W 800lm Energy Saving GU10 LED Light Bulbs 80W Halogen Spotlight Bulb Equivalent,120° Wide Beam​

5 x 8W wide angle lamps should be more than enough for that I would have thought!

2700k is quite warm, though.

yeah went for warm white because don’t like the look of daylight ones and cool white. Might need to go up slightly if they are too yellow’ish.. so maybe 3k or even 4k They are arriving today will post a picture here.

Yeah definitely don't want anything too cold/white in a house unless it's a study or a kitchen.

Yeah definitely don't want anything too cold/white in a house unless it's a study or a kitchen.
i can certainly recommend these gu10 lights looks fabulous just what we were after. Probably should’ve painted the ceiling first (idiot) 😂.

Thanks everyone for their input, much appreciate!

Attachments

• Downlights spacing, any advice ? 45D36ACA-8AC6-43E2-BDAC-48CFFEC6EE2C - EletriciansForums.net
    45D36ACA-8AC6-43E2-BDAC-48CFFEC6EE2C.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 11
How is the wiring from the old ceiling rose connected.
i used a WAGO box and connectors conneced CPC‘s together, neutral together, and permanent lives (1 from switch the other from previous room) together, switch live connected to live, neutral to neutral, earth sleeving on and connected to CPC on the downlight

Sounds good

A lot of DIY (and a great number of “professionally”) fitted downlights have the cpc just cut off, taped up connectors, no box.
It’s surprising how badly some people can do a simple job.

As it’s into an attic, how does your particular fittings deal with insulation?
Some are ok being covered, others not.

Sounds good

A lot of DIY (and a great number of “professionally”) fitted downlights have the cpc just cut off, taped up connectors, no box.
It’s surprising how badly some people can do a simple job.

As it’s into an attic, how does your particular fittings deal with insulation?
Some are ok being covered, others not.
Thank you I try to take care especially with electrics. I literally just came back from Wickes got some downlight covers. At the moment all the insulation is removed just bare plasterboard as I’m boarding up my loft and putting more insulation. (We just bought this house and realised there is about 70mm of insulation :D )

Thanks

Reply to Downlights spacing, any advice ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock