Discuss downlights with extras complex set up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kcscme

-
Reaction score
Hi all having an extension built with some other internal alterations at the same time

The boss wants a complex lighting configuration is it possible to have lighting work the way the she wants ! and if not possible the with the nearest configuration cable sizes and wiring configuration would be great, relays ?

New Lounge

4 switches in one switch plate to operate 8 down lights 2 wall lights and 2 table lamps all threw wall switch

switch -1 operate 8 down lights all on at once

switch -2 operate down lights with half the 8 being on ie lights at opposite ends in room on only (4)

switch -3 operate 2 wall lights both on together

switch -4 operate 2 table lamps connected via 5 amp round plug with an additional single switch else where within room
both lamps to operate from one switch.

she has other great ideas ! but will try find out if this one is doable first

thanks in advance

she would like the outer lights on then maybe switch on the reading lamps or wall-lights if that makes sense that setup would then need 5 switches min grid ?

To uncomplicate it I would suggest switch 1 & 2 switch the downlights as a 4 and 4 config otherwise you will need relays to have the 8 and 4 config you describe

Various smart lighting solutions out there that could easily satisfy your customer’s wishes...
Whether it be addressable drivers, lamps or a mixture, different scenes can be put together and then chopped and changed easily

would the budget support more complex lighting solutions? But anyway four switches can do that and a bit of jiggerpokery could let the first switch switch on 8 but then you would have to switch it off and put on the second switch. But if budget is no problem you can get scene setting on a console with any combination of lights at any brightness/dimness and so on. You can do it from an app on a smart phone and have no switches if you like. Depends on your outlook and lifestyle. Lifx do light bulbs that are individually programable as well as Philips and others

To uncomplicate it I would suggest switch 1 & 2 switch the downlights as a 4 and 4 config otherwise you will need relays to have the 8 and 4 config you describe
re relays could you please provide some more details type make and where best they are fitted within switch or in the ceiling at the downlights

Last edited:
Various smart lighting solutions out there that could easily satisfy your customer’s wishes...
Whether it be addressable drivers, lamps or a mixture, different scenes can be put together and then chopped and changed easily
is there a smart lighting system out there that's for the not so smart :rolleyes: is there a make or setup you prefer to use , this would be like future planning ahead addressable drivers ?

would the budget support more complex lighting solutions? But anyway four switches can do that and a bit of jiggerpokery could let the first switch switch on 8 but then you would have to switch it off and put on the second switch. But if budget is no problem you can get scene setting on a console with any combination of lights at any brightness/dimness and so on. You can do it from an app on a smart phone and have no switches if you like. Depends on your outlook and lifestyle. Lifx do light bulbs that are individually programable as well as Philips and others
do not mind at having to switch one switch on then turn on the other jiggerpokery do you have a wiring diagram or some more detail on types off switches and how lights would be connect to allow to switching work .
budget we are trying to keep within it but sometimes you you need to trim back in other areas if its something your relay want as we still have new a main board to fit and rewire kitchen with grid panel. Is 4mm now the normal supply to feed the grid,i will have a look at scene lighting have you fitted a lot off this equipment ?
thanks again

A wiring diagram would be worse than prometheus on this forum. I can say that all 8 lights would be switched on sw. 1 and four lights on sw. 2. Not exactly top of the range in complexity. Have a look at this for instance. I have set up certainly more complex lighting scenarios than what you propose as I expect most sparks on here have. Lutron is another way forward.

Reply to downlights with extras complex set up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net