Discuss Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

haj

-
Arms
Reaction score
They really really wanted these downlights to fit !!

Attachments

• 6A29B13C-25D5-42A3-990C-C7077727FEE4.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 549D416C-C4E5-47EB-BE85-991F15A4CF35.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 91
  • F8C9B084-EBB3-40EF-8CD3-129C4260A74F.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 87
that reminds meof a job we did back in the 70's when we had diversed into small property repairs to fill quiet times. problem was a cracked purlin in the roof of a semi. half the roof was sagging, customer had tried to rectify by nailing pieces of 3" x 2" from the ceiling joists. obviously this put too much stress on the bedroom ceiling and it was in danger of collapse. on speaking to the guy, turns out he'd had 2 quotes to strip the roof, replace purlin, then re-roof. cost was estimated at over £2000, which was a years salary at the time. me and my mate quoted £150. he snapped my hand off. a 15ft. length of 11" x4" was obtained from the reclaim yard, acrows and scaffold planks fixe front livin room and bedroom, directly below damaged purlin, then a couple of 2 ton trolley jacks in attic raised roof to correct level, then planted reclaimed timber against purlin , bolted through with coach bolts. total time 4 hours. outlay £20. went past the house the other week and it's still got a straight roof.

Seen loads of Downlights butchered into the joists like that

It would take 5 minutes to re drill the ceiling avoiding the joist

But no , people would rather butcher the joist

Talking of downlights...neighbour asked me to replace failed LED downlights in her kitchen, 3 of them. Fancy kitchen with a lowered ceiling, plastic planks...kitchen fitter did the wiring, so as you'd expect, he used a holesaw one size too big, so the units were "floating" a bit, and he hadn't used the standoff brackets, just wrapped the connectors in tape and shoved into the void.
Anyway, I took out the old lamps, gave her the retaining rings and set off for my local wholesaler for replacement lamps. I fitted those and while still up the ladder said "can you pass me the retaining rings?"
"oh, those round wire things? I threw them out."
Give her her due, she went to the bins and fished them out again...

PS from me...today went back to same neighbour because she said one of the new downlights was hanging out of the ceiling. Actually, the lamp was dangling...she had been cleaning the ceiling and it fell out. Where was the retaining clip?
Well, Littlespark, it was a tiled floor and i couldn't find it anywhere!
had to pinch one from a spare in my garage, so i have ordered a pack of 20 from the big river...10 of the simple round ones that fit in a groove, and 10 of the ones with lugs that fit in slots...bet when I die i still have 19 of them left.
However, just for fun, what can you do with a spring-steel retaining clip approximately 50mm in diameter?
I'm thinking about having my ears pierced, before you lot get too inventive!

50mm??
That’s not inventive, that’s optimistic!

it’s one of the reasons I say to fit all in one LED downlights rather than separate driver, lamp, lamp holder and fitting.
retaining clips don’t always fit first time. By the time you fit number 6 in a room, number 1 has already pinged out and the lamp is hanging.

There's been discussion of this new LED in both the SST-90 and CSM-360 threads, so it makes sense to me to consolidate discussion to a dedicated thread. It seems to me that this could be the next large size LED to be used for flashlights -- it is slightly larger and considerably more powerful than the current 4-die LEDs (MC-E and P7)

There's been discussion of this new LED in both the SST-90 and CSM-360 threads, so it makes sense to me to consolidate discussion to a dedicated thread. It seems to me that this could be the next large size LED to be used for flashlights -- it is slightly larger and considerably more powerful than the current 4-die LEDs (MC-E and P7)
Don't talk sh1te

Reply to Downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net