Discuss Downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you plan to keep both the existing central light, and have 4 new downlights, typically if you want them switched separately, you'd have a 2-gang switch at the door, and change the wiring in the switch drop to accommodate this. It would be slightly odd to have the existing 1-gang switch, and then some additional other switch at some other point to add in the downlights.

It depends how the set up is for the main lights.
If you plan to keep both the existing central light, and have 4 new downlights, typically if you want them switched separately, you'd have a 2-gang switch at the door, and change the wiring in the switch drop to accommodate this. It would be slightly odd to have the existing one switch, and then some additional other switch at some other point to add the downlights.
Yes sorry I was meaning to have the original switch as a 2 gang, it's not allowing me to upload an image to illustrate the set up.

As buzz says, then it depends on how the existing wiring is done.

First you need to check what is at the existing switch - just a switch drop cable L/SwitchedL - or L/N feed plus SwL/N to lights? Likely you will need to pull or chase in a new cable.

Then you'll likely need access to the ceiling void, e.g. from the floor above, or via holes in the ceiling (the downlight holes will help). Hopefully you have a set of cable rods.

Hope this makes sense. Currently I've got 1, 1.5mm cable and 1, 1mm cable coming from the centre light of the room, I've got 4 holes for the downlights no cable yet run, it's a bungalow though. The 1mm cable is then run to a single switch back box

Ok, a bungalow makes cabling easy (unless you've boarded the loft).
Sounds like the centre light is the last on the circuit (only one incoming feed).

You can add a second switch drop for the downlights, or change the existing cable to 3-core & earth if it is buried in conduit with little room. Then take this new switched L & N round each of the downlights.

Ok, a bungalow makes cabling easy (unless you've boarded the loft).
Sounds like the centre light is the last on the circuit (only one incoming feed).

You can add a second switch drop for the downlights, or change the existing cable to 3-core & earth if it is buried in conduit with little room. Then take this new switched L & N round each of the downlights.
Yes it's not boarded so access is there for new cable. How can I show you a picture as it won't allow me to post one.

Picture uploading seem a bit broken (supposedly being fixed), but if you need to, someone else here will likely be able to suggest how.

You need to run a cable round the 4 downlights that contains switched L (second new switch) plus N & CPC. You can put the connections e.g. in a Wago maintenance-free junction box in the loft.

If this doesn't make sense, probably you need to get an electrician in to wire it up and test it. There is a bit more to the job than just making it work.

There are additional things to check, like new domestic lighting wiring must have RCD protection, there must be a CPC (E) in the cabling and it is checked that it is actually earthed, the connections at each downlight need to be properly enclosed, no visible inner cores, etc.

to save chasing, you could use a quinetic switch and receiver.either for just the downlights or a 2 gang to do both.

Reply to Downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net