Discuss Downlignts In Bathroom - Type of Certification? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the process of changing 1 Pendant light in center of bathroom to 6 Downlights, would you do a Minor Works for this or a Full Certificate as it's in a Special Location. Also adding a Fused Spur (Outside Bathroom) to a Mirror(with Light) inside Bathroom, Again Minor Works??
Cheers

trying not to derail the OP post but.

I don't do domestic, not registered with a scheme.

Neighbour has asked me to change a faulty light in his bathroom.
original is 12v downlighters x 5 with no ip rating to speak of 30 or 40 at a guess.

I suggested they were all changed to 230v built in led lamps that have ip 65

what would you guys in the trade do? as I say this is outside of my usual scope but once the spec. is right, its only wires at the end of the day.

p.s. is changing lamps like this considered like for like replacement?

If ceiling is >2.25metres then is is outside any zones. And not a “special location”.
But it is still a bathroom, so the RCD requirement still applies & IP65 rated lights not necessary.

It's worth pointing out that the height limit, as far as I can tell, only applies to England which uses the 2013 version of approved document P. There is no such height exemption in the 2010 version that applies to those of us in Wales.

still applies to England and wales, BBB PAGE 95

BBB Page 95 is the chapter 44 contents page, so clearly you're talking about the zoning diagrams in the OSG which are on page 95.

If you read my post carefully, I'm talking about the building regulations, specifically what constitutes a special location with respect to locations containing a bath or shower when it comes to work that requires a notification. In England they have relaxed the rules and it is only work within the zones that requires notification, but in Wales the building regulations do not make that differentiation, they simply say 'locations containing a bath or shower'.

I'm not claiming the zones don't apply in England or Wales because they do as they are defined by BS 7671 which applies equally to both locations.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The rules are different for England and Wales. The 2013 edition, which relaxed the rules, only applies to England. The 2010 edition is still active here in Wales and it is much stricter... we can't do third party certification, the list of special locations is larger and still includes the kitchen for example.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The rules are different for England and Wales. The 2013 edition, which relaxed the rules, only applies to England. The 2010 edition is still active here in Wales and it is much stricter... we can't do third party certification, the list of special locations is larger and still includes the kitchen for example.
And a better regime than our dumbed down one, in my opinion.

Reply to Downlignts In Bathroom - Type of Certification? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net