Discuss Downstairs sockets keep tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hiya, I am wondering if I could get some advice please? I know nothing electrical speak so I apologise lol

For the past 2 days the downstairs sockets keep tripping. Lights all on everywhere and upstairs not effected. Only thing that goes is the sockets. Nothing new been plugged in, nothing been knocked into the sockets. When trip we unplug everything downstairs, turn all sockets to off and still trips when trying the flip switch in the electric meter and pressing reset doesn't work either. Still the same bang and lights flicker. Had 2 electricians around 2 days ago. First had no idea what it was, tripped when he tried too and he due to finish work so passed on it then his colleague came 2 hours later. Flicked the switches on again and this time didn't trip after being off around 5 hours, had me plug everything in one by one and it's all stayed on for 2 days, didn't trip when plugged in which he was confused by if an appliance at fault. Now while out it's gone again!! Spoke to first electrician 2 hours ago and he's coming in the morning to try figure it out. In meantime sat here with my 2 year old freezing and stressing about what it is and if it keeps happening over Christmas ?

Likely there is either a fault on the socket circuit for downstairs, or a fault with an appliance.

Regarding the circuit, you want someone who can test the insulation resistance (leakage to earth), and if it is low, locate the problem (or problems) and fix them. For example, damp into junctions/connections, rodent nibbled cables, etc. If you get someone turn up without the test equipment, you are probably wasting your time/money. Can often turn out to be something outside, e.g. an outside socket, security light, garage/shed supply, etc.

Regarding appliances, this can sometimes be difficult to establish. For example, a dishwasher might only have a fault on a certain part of the cycle, and you will only see the trip when it reaches that part of the cycle. Again, it is often appliances that involve water or damp, such as dishwashers, fridge/freezers, central heating pumps and valves, etc.

It is quite possible there are several issues contributing to the tripping. E.g. more than one appliance, possibly circuit issues as well. Only when the leakage gets high enough (typically 20-odd mA for a 30mA RCD) does the RCD trip. This can be quite tricky to get to the bottom of.

If you want to disconnect an appliance, e.g. to eliminate it, make sure you unplug it, not just switch off at the socket. Many sockets only switch the L, and leave the N connected - but a N to E fault can cause tripping.

Hopefully the electrician will spend a bit more time, use his test equipment and do some proper fault finding.

If it’s not as simple as a faulty socket plate, there may be a damaged cable as @SJD suggests.
Perhaps the electrician can bypass the faulty section, or split the circuit so you have the majority of sockets working over Xmas.

Reply to Downstairs sockets keep tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock