Discuss DP ISOLATION SWITCH. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dogtag

-
Reaction score
Hi all just enquired with National Grid to get a DP isolation switch fitted in my outside meter box and was quoted a jaw dropping £220.00

Is this the norm now for safe isolation?

Sounds about right.

Extra PPE and training required to pull the main fuse, which regular electricians never ever do.

Then the testing afterwards, putting the fuse back, even riskier. Resealing fuse, paperwork.

Damn. Smileys still don’t work.

How do I convey errant sarcasm without smileys.

Sounds about right.

Extra PPE and training required to pull the main fuse, which regular electricians never ever do.

Then the testing afterwards, putting the fuse back, even riskier. Resealing fuse, paperwork.

Damn. Smileys still don’t work.

How do I convey errant sarcasm without smileys.

😀😃😄😁😇

Some suppliers do not charge for an isolator, maybe swap supplier to one who does not charge

There is also a scheme where the DNO will upgrade a supply for free for green stuff- and you will get a free isolator as part of the works
Didn't 'green stuff' used to refer to pound notes............

Enquire with supplier as opposed to DNO. Just had Octopus Energy attend to fit 2 isolators at 2 different addresses at no cost. Same with Eon (albeit a few years ago)

Just speak to any semi competent electrician. Who can pop around at the end of the day and will do it for a far more reasonable price.
Has to be a semi confident electrician who has permission to cut the seals and pull the fuse.

There’s a reason there is a sticker that says “it is dangerous and an offence to work on this equipment”
Or words to that effect.

Only criminal offence is theft of electricity and possibly criminal damage by the destruction of a seal (that's why the seal fairy never leaves evidence lying around). Everything else is civil, so no problem in practice.

Only criminal offence is theft of electricity and possibly criminal damage by the destruction of a seal (that's why the seal fairy never leaves evidence lying around). Everything else is civil, so no problem in practice.

It's the dangerous part that is more of a concern, pulling the wrong cutout fuse could result in some pretty nasty injuries.

Eh a pound note could not honestly tell you the last time I saw one 👀
I may be mistaken.

I do remember the Scottish pound note still in circulation way after the English pulled theirs…

According to Wikipedia, they were stopped being made in 2001, but remained in circulation.

When the polymer notes started being used, there wasn’t a replacement £1 made like for the 5 or 10…. And there would have been some period after that when the notes could still be exchanged at a bank.

They are now seen on eBay for silly prices, but Wikipedia still states the value of a £1 note is…… £1

Reply to DP ISOLATION SWITCH. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock