Discuss DP Isolator - How much???!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been quoted £167 + VAT for installation of a DP Isolator (by Western Power Distribution) on a domestic property I've been asked to work on!

I generally like to do things "by the book", i.e. I'm not a fuse puller....but at this price I might just change my mind.

I assume the lady I spoke to has got the wrong "item" up on her computer, but I did ask 3 times as I was so aghast!

Will phone again later and see what happens - I'm sure the last one (admittedly nearly a year ago) was only about £49 - I'll look at my accounts later too.

What has anyone else paid recently?.....or are the seals usually missing when you arrive?

Timotei

Think you have been misquoted. I was told £70 the other day (as the guy was sealing up the cutout fuse that had been visited by the seal fairy!!). WPD

Just been quoted £167 + VAT for installation of a DP Isolator (by Western Power Distribution) on a domestic property I've been asked to work on!

I generally like to do things "by the book", i.e. I'm not a fuse puller....but at this price I might just change my mind.

I assume the lady I spoke to has got the wrong "item" up on her computer, but I did ask 3 times as I was so aghast!

Will phone again later and see what happens - I'm sure the last one (admittedly nearly a year ago) was only about £49 - I'll look at my accounts later too.

What has anyone else paid recently?.....or are the seals usually missing when you arrive?

Timotei

Its actually £167.33 + the vat;

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs...ical-installers/Standard-Charges-Website.aspx

Probably take them about half an hour, two blokes & a supervisor!

£150.51+VAT in June, from Opus Energy, to fit a £5.95 Proteus 100A DP isolator & 15 minutes work, at the same time as relocating a meter to where the DNO installed a new head, less than 5m from its original position... for which they charge £306+vat.

Thanks for the replies.

Daylight robbery it is then!

I can only assume they actually want the fairies to deal with the seals - otherwise those of us who still play by the book are never going to win a quote / job again!

screwfix sell the wylex ones in enclosure that my local DNO fit for £14.50inc VAT, handy if the seal fairy has already been, probably get them cheaper elsewhere but its not quite £167.33 + VAT :eek: thieving bastards

You’re paying for the business overheads.

All these HR departments, diversity officers and equalities coordinators don’t come for free you know.

Next time you pony up just remember how inclusive an organisation you’re dealing with, it will warm the cockles of your heart.

I can only assume they actually want the fairies to deal with the seals -

o-IRISH-facebook.jpg
yeah one of these is the seal fairy's booted and suited .

Anyone know if WPD allow the same?
No they don't.
It was a network planner who told me the £70 fee and he is one of the people that prices jobs. He was telling me how I shouldn't pull fuses, the dangers involved and the potential consequences all for the sake of saving £70

He was telling me how I shouldn't pull fuses, the dangers involved and the potential consequences all for the sake of saving £70

Of course he would, its in his job description. A risk assessment of the install, safe isolation procedures, any competent spark would be capable of carrying out the task safely, with no risk to anyone. They are just ----ed about people nicking their electric.

I might not be crossing the road, to catch that number 9 bus, if we followed all these risk averse organisations.

@Timotei , what I normally do in this case, if you want to play by the rule book is book an engineer to come and pull the fuse. Have a Wylex REC2S isolator lined up.

When they get there, ask them if they'd mind waiting in the van for 10 minutes. Have them pull the fuse, install the isolator and tails from the meter to the isolator and then go and knock on the van window and have them come back, reinsert the fuse and seal everything back up.

The customer pays for a single visit (because if they go away and come back customer pays the £75 - I think it is - twice).

The engineers are typically very accommodating and everyone I've encountered has been happy to oblige. The worst case is, they say no and bugger off but it's still cheaper than having them fit the isolator.

Well, yes, partly. He is actually a really nice helpful person and yes he is quoting the company line. I did feel slightly awkward for him as my youngest is one of his seniors! However I gather there must have been an incident as they are all gloving up and donning flash guard visors even for what appears to be a very safe and simple task

No they don't.
It was a network planner who told me the £70 fee and he is one of the people that prices jobs. He was telling me how I shouldn't pull fuses, the dangers involved and the potential consequences all for the sake of saving £70
After watching a DNO engineer pull all three fuses on a three phase supply your man might want to explain the hazards to his engineers.

@Timotei , what I normally do in this case, if you want to play by the rule book is book an engineer to come and pull the fuse. Have a Wylex REC2S isolator lined up.

When they get there, ask them if they'd mind waiting in the van for 10 minutes. Have them pull the fuse, install the isolator and tails from the meter to the isolator and then go and knock on the van window and have them come back, reinsert the fuse and seal everything back up.

The customer pays for a single visit (because if they go away and come back customer pays the £75 - I think it is - twice).

The engineers are typically very accommodating and everyone I've encountered has been happy to oblige. The worst case is, they say no and bugger off but it's still cheaper than having them fit the isolator.

Present company excepted, that just seems stupidly over complicated. At some point in the next hundred years, common sense should prevail?

Present company excepted, that just seems stupidly over complicated. At some point in the next hundred years, common sense should prevail?

I would hope so. I'm hoping NAPIT give WPD a kick in the right direction. It would be so much easier if they'd just let us pull the fuse and re-seal it.

Reply to DP Isolator - How much???!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net