Discuss Drill through plaster? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So, my current living room light is one simple light bulb, as shown in the picture.

There is a rose/medallion there and I got a new light that needs two holes in order to get it fixed on the ceiling. Again, see pictures.

I asked an electrician who told me that he can't drill the two holes because the rose/medallion would break. However, I'm reading in other forums that if you put tape on the spots and drill slowly, you can do it.

So, I'm just here to ask for your opinion/advice. Risk it or buy a new light?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20210802_004450.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210802_004532.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210802_004552.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 44
If it's a plaster rose, as opposed to a foam modern one, then there is definitely a risk of it cracking if you disturb it.

It may well be possible to go very slowly with a fine drill (tape might help) and get away with it, but there is definitely a real risk that it will crack if fitting plugs into it. If that happens it is sometimes possible to fit it back together or fill any cracks, but if it's not been glued to the ceiling it may fall if care is not taken.

I'd either let an electrician know that you are willing to take the risk - or have a go yourself at the drilling bit first.

It's not a particularly ornate one, so I would think that it may be possible to fill any cracks that do appear, if care is taken...

Thank you, Dartlec!

I believe it's a plaster one since the house was built in the 90s.

I am actually thinking of trying a thin drill first and then move on to a thicker one very very slowly. So, if it cracks, what then? Wall putty?

Is that a traditional porcelain rose I see connected to the old light? If so it will have two screws, possibly into a noggin. Make a ply disc the size of your new fixture, drill two holes matching the position of the original screws, a cable hole and pilot holes for the screws of the new fixture. Screw the disc up using the original screw holes in the plaster, then screw the new fixture to it.

Again if that is an original porcelain rose, the wiring might be old too. The more I look at that pic, the less convinced I am.

I meant the electrical ceiling rose.... looks to me like a 1930s porcelain one but i can't see very clearly. Wait... did you mean 1890s or 1990s?

I was suggesting to avoid drilling the plaster, making an interface plate that picks up.its fixings via the existing holes and provides a base into which the new luminaire can be screwed

I meant 1990s! Hehe!

That's why I believe it's plaster/gypsum. Cause in Greece (where I live) it's the most common technique.

I don't think there are existing holes, at least I can't see any and I've been up close with a ladder.

Reply to Drill through plaster? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net