Discuss Drilled through 30am cable powering oven and hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So... a bit of a faux pas happened the weekend... i managed to drill through the 30amp mains cable that goes down to the oven and hob.
Drilled through 30am cable powering oven and hob {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

flashsgl - https://ibb.co/Q8Bf6jX

Anyone know the best course of action short of channelling the wall out and rewiring the whole thing?

Kind regards
Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the Forum.
Usually Kev the kitchen fitter that gets the drilling accuracy award, ha ha. Anyway, most Electricians can repair this type of thing and test to ensure it meets safety specs afterwards. Someone on here may be local and able to pop by if you want help with it.

Is it the section of cable in between the switch and hob/oven or is the cable just going straight to the hob with no switch?
You might get lucky and be able to tie on to the old cable or if there is no switch that could be an ideal location to install one

Presumably the drilling was to put up another or replacement wall unit or shelf. I would install a surface 32A jointbox, I’ve used a surface white 2 gang back box & blank lid with Wago connectors or similar, in the back of unit. Then replaced the ongoing cable with new. If it’s a shelf, you’ll need a suitably placed cook book. :)

fit isolator switch above the damaged part. chase in new drop to cooker outlet.. if there's an isolator low level (maybe in cupboard) remove it

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. I have attached more images of the cupboard and also the wall... I assumed the cable would run central to the plug so i drilled either side of it. The man who previously owned the house did all this himself by the looks of it and never put any sheathing around the cables and has plastered them straight into the wall.. which is a pain.

fit isolator switch above the damaged part. chase in new drop to cooker outlet.. if there's an isolator low level (maybe in cupboard) remove it

This is what the father in law suggested and he said he can do it but wondering whether it will need signing off or certification? I think the bloke has put the hob and cooker on the same mains cable.. so would it work to put the switch in, change the cable below that, remove the old switch.. put a 3way junction box in and then split the power to hob and cooker? we are planning to get the kitchen done over the next few years so we potentially will put some conduit down the other side of the wall and back into the cupboard rather than taking all of the tiles down and potentially the floor up to get into that cupboard.

https://i.ibb.co/3f4J2qd/IMG-20190425-070910.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/YD1FM20/IMG-20190425-070849.jpg

Thanks
Dan

For future reference, stay outside the horizontal and vertical edges of accessories and start off with your drill slow with no hammer action..

also bear in mind that the cables are within 6" of the wall corner. this is a prescribed zone.( all blue areas).
Drilled through 30am cable powering oven and hob upload_2019-4-25_10-15-25 - EletriciansForums.net

looking at your latest pics. i stand by my previous advice. a MWC ( minor works cert. ) should be completed. notification to BC is not required. move the isolator/socket up to above the damage then rewire to outlet. careful removal of a tile or 2 and they can be refixed after.

Reply to Drilled through 30am cable powering oven and hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock