Discuss Drilling behind skirting? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

They both tend to do this if you arent careful.

Plus, the sds chisels dont really last that long and shear off near the chuck.

Long drill on hammerevry time for me
The chisel may very well explode the skirting board away from the wall :)

The skirting board chisel will never explode the skirting as it chases at an angle which chases the wall and not the skirting. where as a drill bit will damage as u are drilling at an angle and not straight..

I just get a 10mm sds bit in first about 450mm long and use that first usually no damage to the skirting then follow through after with a 18mm bit which is enough for the ring main

Be careful though..... and do what I did the other week...:eek:

I always use a 10mm bit 450mm long, was drilling down behind skirting on partition wall upstairs and was being a bit of a pain. Eventually got through and thought nothing of it until customer shouts up "we've got a hole in the dinning room cieling" :eek: whoops obviously went a bit too far, not normally that ruff, nice bit of filler and they were happy again :rolleyes:

How appropriate, I was just looking at one of those chasing behind skirting adapters today wondering if it was worth it and if it would make life easier then just drilling, and now I look here and realise that the answer is 'No'.
I shall have to find something else to spend the cash on then.

How appropriate, I was just looking at one of those chasing behind skirting adapters today wondering if it was worth it and if it would make life easier then just drilling, and now I look here and realise that the answer is 'No'.

I think your wrong but that's my opinion I use a skirting chisel and it will also drill up behind coving with out any damage because u can chisel at 90 degrees , where as a drill bit needs to be a long flexible one to get the angle.

Try a woman lol :p

I remember a time where we had to use bent earth rods to try and knock up behind this really fancy cornice work. It was so deep nothing else would do it.

I have drilled behind 18" victorian type skirting,1m drill bit,20 sockets throughout,that was a helluva job,and the client was a miserable git,not one to remember fondly.

I use a 10mm sds that's around metre long (sorry it's in the van right now) , on hammer - Bosch I think. When you're heading straight down behind the skirting, you can get a gentle bend so that while the drill is slightly angled, the drill bit is going nicely vertical. It even manages to get through floorboards underneath. Never had a prob or a broken bit.

Reply to Drilling behind skirting? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net