Discuss Drilling holes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can these be drilled?

The diagonal beams going up to the roof that is?
20201125_193533.jpg

Look like 4x2 (95mm x 45mm) rafters to me. Tile baton and roof tiles the other side I imagine.

20 mm max hole through the centers should be fine. Though if the roofer has used 3" nails to fix the tile baton you may come across them!

can you not run cables along the top of the wall, on that horizontal timber, then clip up side of rafters?

Also... if there's board going on the top of those rafters... I'd imagine there's some insulation going in there too ? Celotex ? How's that going to work with your cables ?

Generally frowned upon, but had a similar dilemma on a job so double checked with building inspector who agreed as long drilled on centre line! 16mm dia as I recall as only one cable. Also 130mm rafters if I remember!

can you not run cables along the top of the wall, on that horizontal timber, then clip up side of rafters?
That was the plan, but now its all changed :/

I'm getting the idea that drilling them is not a good idea, that and if the ring goes up and over the roof it needs to be de rated if its in the Insulation...

Putting the cable over the rafters will put it on the underside of the breathable membrane so technically not in the insulation which I assume is going between the rafters.

IMHO... I'd be asking for a drawing/specification of how they propose to install the insulation and ceiling finish. I suspect that it'll be celotex type board with and air gap between it and the breathable membrane... this would sit flush with the face of those rafters... this would then all be over-sheeted with more celotex to bring it up to the required u value and providing the vapour barrier. Then over this would be the pasterboard.

Or maybe they intend to use the foil blanket type insulation over the whole ceiling ?

Also... what are the cables for ? lighting ? led tape ? led panels ?

Once you know what the plan is.. you can then work out your cabling plan... At this stage of proceedings... I would not be thinking about drilling anything.

Reply to Drilling holes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net