Discuss Drilling joists in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pat H

-
Reaction score
Doing a loft conversion and wondering about joist drilling.
OSG states to drill in the middle of the joist 0.25 to 0.4 of joist length.
I have 6" joists but the bottom 4" will be filled with 100mm celotex so If I drill at half way my cabling will be in the way of the insulation. It makes more sense to drill slightly higher to clear the insulation and leave the cabling in the air gap above. This would leave me just about 50mm from the top of the joist.

I would consult a building inspector before going ahead drilling joists in attics
I would also suspect permission would be firmly rejected

The only thing the joists hold up is the dormer flat roof. But I'll speak to the BC as they are onsite.
I assume folks normally drill as per OSG and the insulation guys chop up their insulation to fit (thereby reducing the building reg requirements for the insulation....)

In a loft conversion you can normally get away without drilling joists as you have dwarf walls or cupboard space around the outside which you can utilise for cable runs or where the ceiling is dropped from the apex.

This is in the dormer flat roof. Fire alarm and light fittings. Lots of joists and noggins. No practical access upwards just across.

This is in the dormer flat roof. Fire alarm and light fittings. Lots of joists and noggins. No practical access upwards just across.

What about using the 150mm zone where wall meets the ceiling and then clipping the cables in to position along the joist above where the insulation is to sit?

The top section of the dormer walls is doubled up 6" joists and on top of that will go 1" celotex insulation.
I can't bury or sink the cable into that joist (and be within 150mm) It would have to be surface mounted and then the 1" insulation board would have to be rebated on the rear to allow the cables to sit in it. That would reduce the insulation effectiveness at a key thermal bridging location.
I can discuss with BC but it seems the OSG doesn't look at the bigger picture. I can see the logic on a 4" ceiling joist with loading on it. But a 6" joist with a flat roof on it.

Ah that's right. Rafters. No mention of that in OSG so all good :)

Ah that's right. Rafters. No mention of that in OSG so all good :)

Wrong, you can't drill rafters at all. The information in the osg is just an extract from the building regulations. You need to look in the appropriate building regs document for this, I have a feeling it is part A, but you'll have to check

Just glanced through Part A but couldn't see any thing relevant. Have found a number of Building control documents on line and they state the joist/rafter needs to be calculated re any reduction in strength. But generally it looks like stick to the centre.
I guess that element over rides the insulation limitations it imposes.

Are the the new joist above the old raftes and a space in between .
when new joist go in they will be on a support walls ,building regs guide annex 1.1 on structures

At floor level in the new space the new 6" joists are more than 2" above the old rafters so no issues with cabling.
Its the new dormer ceiling.
The original sloping roof of 4" rafters has had 2* extra added to make 6" but I won't drill anything there as I can access from below or above.
Its only the new dormer roof. Steel at one end so no access and doubled up 6" joists the other that form the top of the dormer wall so no access there. I have no option but to go across.

Reply to Drilling joists in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock