Discuss Drilling through joists in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sanke

Hi all
i need to drill a lot of holes through joists. Just wondered what people thought was the best tool
flat wood bit or auger ?
Thanks

If you have a lot to drill then, a nice 110V angle drill & a stumpy auger bit is best IMO.

A plumber (yes I know;)) who I was once working alongside let me borrow his battery operated angle drill and auger to drill some holes and by golly gosh I was amazed. Absolutely awesome!

The benefit with using the above combination is that you are able to drill at right angles rather than on a diagonal which makes pulling cables much easier:thumbsup

I have used this Makita drill before,DA4000LR_SEC.jpg but I have also snapped the internal parts of the angled head.
So now I have one of these!imagesCALBV3A7.jpgThis is the Dogs!!! But be careful that is doesn't get caught, it'll snap your wrist!!

I hate to sound like the Metabo rep..... AGAIN!!!

If you've a metabo you can buy a angle chuck which replaces your normal chuck both just click on and off..

It's already on my shopping list!!!

I have seen a plumber use an angle grinder which he adapted the head, (which holds the grinder discs') and then used a hole saw to cut through the OSB/laminated I joists.

Now that is a slim angle drill...

I use the smaller makita angle drill with various wood bits/augers......I got sick of my battery version, crap go for mains

A plumber (yes I know;)) who I was once working alongside let me borrow his battery operated angle drill and auger to drill some holes and by golly gosh I was amazed. Absolutely awesome!

The benefit with using the above combination is that you are able to drill at right angles rather than on a diagonal which makes pulling cables much easier:thumbsup
:iagree:
Probably helps with his pipes too eh!

Bloomin' fantastic these are:
Wood Beaver
(sell 'em at the place that fixes screws that we're not allowed to link to)
way better then the Irwin ones (I have both) because they pull out the other side much better due to the 'forward' design of the cutting edges.

I use with:
Makita UK

I brought some of those blue Irwin bits about 2 years ago, the first hole I drilled with the 32mm bit going up through flooring into stud wall (which was already tacked at the bottom, so couldn't do it from above) straight into a nail! So moved to the left 30mm and tried again, straight into another nail! So drilled in between the two previous atempts and luckily got throught that time. Wasn't too impressed with myself that night!

Those bits are great when new (or not mangled by nails) for going through joists, very quick, much quicker than flat wood bits or other auger bits. Especially when used with angle drills with a lot of torque. I have used them in a impact driver when without power, but never the bigger sizes 20mm max

I use the smaller makita angle drill with various wood bits/augers......I got sick of my battery version, crap go for mains

I've got one of them smaller ones but theres not enough torque to use my fav irwin bits though. Anyone want it lol

Use my Bosch combi, nice and short and fits between any joists with an irwin blue groove attached.

I use a 230 dewalt if there is alot to do and long auger bits need to invest in an angle drill far easier ,worst bit is if it grips and it can be broken wrist time most of the time i use an 18 volt dewalt brill

Hi guys
Needed to drill 32mm holes to pull pipes through. Hired Makita angle drill & bought new flat bits. Drilled holes easy so will be looking to buy one for next job

Reply to Drilling through joists in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net