Discuss Drink vending machine outside petrol station in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brightspark2010

It may seem like a silly question but please confirm for me what i am sying several client design team members are requesting a drinks vending machine 230vis to be sited outside the front entrance of a petrol station they wanted a socket out there for it i informed them this is not posssible under our registration however they now intend for the builder to drill through the wall and they fit!!!!!
I have told them the unit cannot sit out there because of the spark and flamability of the petrol is not correct

1.i am not putting an ip socket out there definately.

But also the unit cannot sitout there either

I certainly wouldn't do it and I'll bet they will have a problem finding a spark who knows what he is doing to do it too

That's just a dumb idea, very dangerous .... I'd go a little further and report their intentions to their Petroleum Licensing Authority. I don't think the new DSEAR regs apply as it's not a workplace as such (it's a retail environment).

We in UK have many rules and regulations to cover just about every possibility that let's say COULD happen at a petrol filling station.
In many of the countries i have lived and worked, in the Middle and Far East, there are very little to none of these rules and Regulations, or if there are, i can assure you they are not adhered too, in any shape or form. And don't forget were talking about countries here that exceed 40C on a daily basis during the summer months, were vapours will be that much closer to spontaneous ignition temperatures...

I'm sure Malcolm can tell you about petrol stations in Saudi for instance. You will not see any form of special lighting fittings, just the bog standard variety, many without trough covers let alone diffuser covers. You will see normal type extension leads all over the place supplying just about anything you can think about, including drinks cooling display cases. Ive seen many times, the actual petrol pumps being supplied with flex into unglanded connection boxes. In so many words i'm saying that these petrol stations break just about every rule in the book, and some have been that bad i was glad to get away from myself!! But in all my time spent in these countries i've never seen or heard of one going up in smoke, never heard or seen one exploding either!! That's not exactly true one did go up with a bang, but that was the result of a traffic accident were a car and a large lorry went smashing through the station taking out a row of petrol and diesel pumps, weren't much left to see in the aftermath...lol!!

So it makes you think, does the West take things tooooo far, at our petrol stations?? lol!!!:sifone: :sunny::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not exactly true one did go up with a bang, but that was the result of a traffic accident were a car and a large lorry went smashing through the station taking out a row of petrol and diesel pumps, weren't much left to see in the aftermath...lol!!

i sure you have a dark side e54,who else laughs at tragedy like that...:D im never upsetting him again..:ninja:

Whats the difference between having a Cashpoint or an air compressor on the forecourt & a Drinks machine ?

cough..

coca-cola-classic-can.jpg

i sure you have a dark side e54,who else laughs at tragedy like that...:D im never upsetting him again..:ninja:

Yeah your probably right there, but then you tend to become immune to many things, when you have spent many years in these countries. When your seeing fatal road traffic accidents on a regular basis!! Actually, Saudis largest annual death numbers, is road traffic accidents!! I don't know if that's still the case, if it's not it's going to be a very close second...

I know a couple of decades ago when I was on contract in the US, every gas station South of the Mason Dixon line had at least one refrigerated Coke machine standing on the forecourt running on an extension lead. Maybe this has changed now though, who knows.

I would say if you installed a socket that's compliant with the relevant regs then what they plug into it is their responsibility not yours. As an installation electrician you responsibility would end with the socket. I assume they would have somebody PAT testing who would warn about inappropriate appliances.

Reply to Drink vending machine outside petrol station in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net