Discuss Dropping cables from loft in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm retired, but have worked as an electricians mate off and on - I know my limitations. I've been asked by a friend to fit a "picture light". The wall is plasterboard cavity with insulation, the wall has a 3 inch coving.
I have access to the loft above and there is a single pendant in the room where they want the picture light switched from. What is the best way to run the cable down the wall from the loft (taking a feed from the pendant). Not sure how to identify the wall plate in the loft and drill down through it. Any advice would be appreciated.

before you even start working on the light is it going to be RCD protected going in the wall .

Use a cable detector on the ceiling next to where the light will be fitted to ensure you are not about to drill into a cable or pipe.
Stud finder for wall to ensure you are not trying to come down in the same place as a vertical timber.

When you have lifted the insulation in the area you need to drill down, the layout of the room below should be apparent.

Drill down with a 1 inch drill so you can see into the cavity below.

Drill a small hole where the picture light will hang.
Get mate to shine torch in hole whilst you look down from above to make sure there is a clear run for the cable.

Remember, always check that there are no services behind wall where you are about to drill.

Many a 1 hour job have been turned into a 2 DAY job by
“Finding” a cable or pipe with a drill bit.

It’s a job of good measurement and pot luck finding the top of the wall from the attic when all you can see is the top side of the plasterboard ceiling.

I did this once for a switch drop and managed to hit the void behind coving. A matter of 2 inches and redrilled into centre of wall and no damage to decoration.

If the wall has insulation in it, that could be a difficulty. A good set of cable rods or trunking lid. And more of the luck I talked about earlier.

New regs do stipulate RCD protection for luminaries now, so that to consider.

Good luck, and if your luck holds out, you might think about buying a lottery ticket

Last edited:
before you even start working on the light is it going to be RCD protected going in the wall .
Thanks for all your replies. The lighting circuit is protected by an RCBO
[automerge]1569403107[/automerge]
Use a cable detector on the ceiling next to where the light will be fitted to ensure you are not about to drill into a cable or pipe.
Stud finder for wall to ensure you are not trying to come down in the same place as a vertical timber.

When you have lifted the insulation in the area you need to drill down, the layout of the room below should be apparent.

Drill down with a 1 inch drill so you can see into the cavity below.

Drill a small hole where the picture light will hang.
Get mate to shine torch in hole whilst you look down from above to make sure there is a clear run for the cable.

Remember, always check that there are no services behind wall where you are about to drill.

Many a 1 hour job have been turned into a 2 DAY job by
“Finding” a cable or pipe with a drill bit.
I agree...there's no such thing as a "5 minute job"

Last edited:

Reply to Dropping cables from loft in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net