Discuss dropping hinged lamp posts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ruaribedford

Hey have to drop a hinged lamp post so I can get access to cables have used spring counterbalance units to drop them in the past but always borrowed them from somebody on site.
The company I am with don't have any so I am trying to source one anyone have an idea of who sells them.
Googled it and takes me to abacus website.

You will have to get one that is made specifically for the lamp post in question, so it's a call to the post manufacturer. I have used drop posts in the past and each system is slightly different. Some spring trollies sit on the floor, some lift off the floor and bolt to the post, some just use a winch bolted to the post.

It's unusual that a device has not been left on site where the post is, that's usually a must have.

You could always wait till a Friday night and get your local drunk in a car, they seem to be quite good at lowering lamp posts, can't promise it will stand up again, but it'll certainly get lowered for you.

How tall is the column? if its only 6 or 8m pop the bottom open slightly ajar, there should be a bracket that you can tie a rope onto (some columns even come with a rope with hook attached to the end). Should have no problems letting it open enough for you to get at your cables with someone holding the rope for you or tie it round something nearby.

How tall is the column? if its only 6 or 8m pop the bottom open slightly ajar, there should be a bracket that you can tie a rope onto (some columns even come with a rope with hook attached to the end). Should have no problems letting it open enough for you to get at your cables with someone holding the rope for you or tie it round something nearby.

surprised-reaction-guy.pngReally ?

Yeeeeeehaaaaa

Hi,

Having used both the spring type and hydraulic jacks a lot in the past, I prefer the hydraulic type. I've seen some nasty things happen with the spring type.

As previously said you need to match the jack with the lamp post height and construction, get it wrong and you'll know about it.
Don't even dream of using a rope, unless it's one of the smaller posts that are designed to be dropped by a rope. Always remember to unlock the mechanism inside of the inspection door if it's one of the taller posts. I saw one that somebody used a scaffold bar on as they didn't realise some are fitted with a locking mechanism.

Regards.

of course the newer drop down posts are mid hinged and require no equipment to lower , are perfectly balanced , and can be raised with just a length of rope.
the abacus versions are a pain in the arse to be honest with all that faff using levers and trollys.

Cheers wouldn't dream of using rope as post very close to overhead lines as it is on train station platform.
Happy days there getting someone else to drop it and I have just to disconnect it.
Hopefully the weather isn't to bad on Saturday night as in middle of nowhere and we won't get the possession till 12am at earliest.
I really appreciate all advice given.

Reply to dropping hinged lamp posts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net