Discuss Dry Lining box For Double Socket Underneath in Wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomodo

-
Reaction score
Hi working at a house which has just had a new bathroom and noticed that there is a dry lining box in the wall that the bath is against, its for a double socket in the room adjacent to the bathroom, the box is underneath the bath and reading my regs book it states if you need a tool to get under the bath then its outside the zones ?

But it's still in the bathroom and sockets need to be 3m from the bath/shower.

EDIT: Didn't read it right, after Tel's post the box sounds like it's not even in the bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi working at a house which has just had a new bathroom and noticed that there is a dry lining box in the wall that the bath is against, its for a double socket in the room adjacent to the bathroom, the box is underneath the bath and reading my regs book it states if you need a tool to get under the bath then its outside the zones ?

It's getting worse

I had an argument in the past regarding something similar.
The intention was to place a socket under the bath to supply a shower pump.
I obviously said that as it would be less than 3m from the edge of the bath, it would not be acceptable.
However Richard Townsend a senior engineer at the IET, believes that it is acceptable, as the socket and the pump would only be accessible by use of a tool.

So the dry lining box for the socket is in the bathroom.
Is the socket facing into the bathroom?
Is it possible to plug something in to this socket "within" the bathroom without the use of tools to remove the bath panel?

IF the socket was facing into the bathroom, is it any more likely for someone to remove the bath panel and plug in a hair drier, for example, than it would be for the same person to get a 10mtr extension lead and plug it into a socket downstairs and run it up into the bathroom??

What's the point of any thread Roly?

Someone not too sure on something so he asks a question.

Sorry, I was being facetious, at work we would call this a 'what if' question!

So to expand, In my view when you read any regulation or legislation you first must ask the context in which it was written and meant, i.e what were they trying to achieve. This reg is clearly aimed at people not having plugs in a bathroom where due to the wet environment they can plug things in with wet hands and electrocute themselves, not in my opinion to cover where someone has a plug facing into another room which by poor construction may be facing back into a bathroom zone.

There could be an argument that the design is poor and there at least should be plasterboard on the bathroom side and this should be raised with the builder or client , however equally how many times is a ceiling rose placed below a bath in another room where a leaking bath could cause a fault condition?

I will therefore resolve in future not make glib comments :)

I can see his concern where the box was exposed, albeit under a bath, but on the same wall where there is the possibility of water running into the box, if the bath is not sealed to the wall properly. He just didn't explain things quite that way in the OP - ref Post 9

Last edited:
It's for a socket in the adjacent room.

I know Pete, all I'm saying is that without seeing it that would be my concern. It might be for a socket in the next room but the box is below the bath. A dry lining box has no IP rating so I would want to know that water could not get into it it there was a leak.

If the bath leaks my first concern would be water getting into the lights dowstairs, but fair point if he is that worried, must be a right bodge job if you can see the box from under the bath, did the installer bash a hole right through onto the bathroom?

Reply to Dry Lining box For Double Socket Underneath in Wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock