Discuss Dry lining dual boxes plus brass fronts ? Don't fit ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Dear All,

please help with any suggestions ( not a file as per the joiner on the job !! ) ?

I am on a rewiring job at the minute which has a lot of dual boxes ( single/ single and double/ single ) and when the job was quoted for white plastic was to be the finish for the fronts. Now however the client has changed there mind and wants brass finished accessories - but the problem is they don't fit the back boxes any more cause as everyone knows their wider, the plasterers finished and the painters started.

Has anyone got a suggestion for a 'get out of jail card' for this one?

Thanks for that Somersetsparks, unfortunately I have ordered Varilight finishes already and theres quite a few, was thinking more if i could alter backbox in some way ?.

Unfortunately, I think not, anything you try would be a bit of a bodge to be honest, You will be able to get 2 of the wider accessories next to each other I would imagine, but not 3, and ity would definatelt make it a lug snapping nightmare for some poor sparks in the future!

Easy to trim the protrusion from the front of the box is the usual method, bit more difficult with flat plate but can be done.

No quite understanding what you mean by get 2 but not 3 next to each other. Theres a a combination of a dual box which has say a 13A twin socket next to a 5Amp socket so that would be 2 accessories say or a dual box with a 5amp socket and a fused spur but that would still be 2 accessories as well

I though you meant you might have a bank of say 3 in line, if you've only got a maximum of 2, you may get away with just prizing them apart and fitting them, not ideal but what can you do?
I suppose you won't really no until you have got the accessories and try!
best of luck

I'm assuming that the lip of the box is larger than the accessory , usually this can be remedied by trimming the lip to fit the recess in the accessory.I have not fitted varilight so without seeing it it is difficult to say. Mainstream brands usually will fit using this method.

Unfortunately that is not the problem....

The problem is if you screw in the middle two screws in first the outer two screws or at least one of them doen't fit because of the angle its at or if you screw in the outer two screws the fronts over lap in the middle, the space, or moulded plastic in the middle of the dry lining box isn't wide enough by about 3 or 4 mm.

Are you able to space them to suit,then use a thin plastic/metal strip in the gap between the boxes,glued into that space and strong enough to stay rigid

Does'nt sound like an easy fix then, other than to get accessories to fit or change to non dual's. Personally I would try different accessories or you may have a lot of work on your hands.

Forgive me for taking so long to reply ,3 mobile broadband is useless. I'ts the main reason I dont come on as often as I used too.

Bloody customers changing their minds. This happened to me last year, I explained the issue to the customer and showed them the problem physically. I offered them the choice of going back to the initial plan, or because they created the problem, said I could proceed with the new fittings but it would cost a lot more as everything would need redoing. I ended up redoing all the accessories, took me an extra 3 or 4 days, but I charged accordingly. Plasterer also got an extra days work out of it, fixing the mess I made!

The only thing I can think to suggest is to work out what the exact width is that you need for the two plates side by side, meeting flush in the middle, then slice the 2+1 box in two, move one side out by the difference in measurement. If you do it carefully and with a sharp knife or a fein, then a dollop of gripit (or whatever) in between the gap to hold them back firm....and when you put the plates back on you shouldn't be able to see you were ever there.

Reply to Dry lining dual boxes plus brass fronts ? Don't fit ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net