Discuss dti Guide - PV 3rd Edition. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On first inspection it is an interesting read but will have to pick it over in finer detail later.
It's interesting to see the note about roof structures and building control

"Note: Where it is determined that structural work is required to strengthen a roof prior to the installation of the PV system – such works will always require a building notice to be submitted."

No mention of who is competent to determine if structural work is required, I would assume a qualified structural engineer?

Page 20 seems to okay type A rcds for TL inverters as long as the particular inverter manufacturer can certify that there is seperation of DC from AC,

Interesting info regarding mounting systems also.

Hanger bolts are now "Not recommended" (whatever that's supposed to mean), Eurocode 5 has been given prominence and 400-500mm has been mentioned for tolerance on roof edges (that'll be 400mm then?).

Interesting reading - it appears earthing of the array will be pretty much un-required, even on TL inverters.

Manufacturers reccommendations will still override this guide in the case of Tl inverters

but in this draft there is no mention of the requirement to earth the array to a rod in the case of a TL inverter on a TNC/S system just seems to me to be talking in general terms of bonding/earthing to the Met , only thing it says about inverters with no separation is about the use of an RCD (unless i missed it ),so maybe it will be added

Last edited:
Had a good scan through already and a number of welcomed changes in there as mentioned above. Clarification for DV warning labels on DC cable runs, new stickers and a good going over of wind calcs..........Given a bit more time I shall give it a good read.......

MCS have specifically asked that if any of us do have a comment to fill in their consultation document and send it back to them - they are keen to here from / listen to expereinced installers

MCS have specifically asked that if any of us do have a comment to fill in their consultation document and send it back to them - they are keen to here from / listen to expereinced installers

This sounds like a very positive step Worcester, any suggestions could be discussed in this thread.

Perhaps the most relevant points could be forwarded to the author(s)?

Reply to dti Guide - PV 3rd Edition. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net