Discuss DUAL APPLIANCE OUTLET PLATE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ira Jag

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have read few posts about dual appliance outlet and wonder now if it can be used in my case. I have 32a 6mm cable to 45a switch supplying 6200w hob. Current oven is 2,4kw 13a plug. It will be replaced with 7,4kw induction hob and 3,6kw oven. Can hob circuit be used for both appliances connected to dual outlet plate and using same 45a switch? We were told by an electrician 6mm cable will be ok for both appliances, but when we had a quote for new kitchen they builder told us he would not connect both appliances to one 6mm cable and we heed to add new circuit. In our case it has to run outside around house and we would like to avoid it if possible.

Any advice is appreciated

As above , but could be old colours or anything , and new kitchen going in and builder thinking I want a new cable too, you know how they put it across

builder should stick to slopping bricks.. 6mm on a 32A into a 45A isolator is good fot cooking appliances upto a rating of 15kW. end of.

Agreed , some of the BS I hear builders/kitchen fitters come out with is ridiculous.

Why are you listening to a builder where electricity is involved.

What you propose sounds fine to me all being as it sounds.
Good point, if I was not told by electrician first I would believe builder, but he supposed to discuss the issue with his electrician. I don’t know what his electrician said, but we have extra cost £325 for new circuit and 85 for rcbo. Our house built 2000 and we are rcd protected, of course I don’t want extra cost if possible.

As above , but could be old colours or anything , and new kitchen going in and builder thinking I want a new cable too, you know how they put it across
I thought that, I was put off buying the kitchen just because of conversation with their builder. But we shell see.

Builders are wombats when it comes to electrical installations.
OP, please dont pay an extra £400 on work that you don’t need

Builders are wombats when it comes to electrical installations.
OP, please dont pay an extra £400 on work that you don’t need

Now your answers made me wonder, what else I was told wrong by the builder. When we had kitchen ceiling insulated an electrician had to extend some cables including 6mm hob circuit. My spouse got involved in the conversation with electrician and he got confused thinking we wanted move the hob to opposite side. We decided not to remove the cable, in case we want to move hob or oven to opposite side. Please see how it ended up, if I remember correctly. Again builder said, that electrician was wrong to do it, as line to another side should not come out from junction box, but after 45a switch. Where circuit must have two module enclosure with two circuit breakers, one for hob, one for oven. Now I also wonder if it is so necessary to do or it can be left the way it is now.

Attachments

• DUAL APPLIANCE OUTLET PLATE image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 16
builder should stick to slopping bricks.. 6mm on a 32A into a 45A isolator is good fot cooking appliances upto a rating of 15kW. end of.
15!!? When I said, we wanted 11kW for both appliances and were told by electrician it would be ok, our precious builder said, that appliances can not be installed, as cable will be running on it limits and can over hit. After his words I lost interest talking to him. But two month later he send us his quote with lots of possible extras. After it, I said buy kitchen in Wickes and left over spend in pub. I guess last me for long with current lockdown.

what you have to bear in mind is diversity. with cooking appliances yo won't usually have all elements on at the same time, and they cycle on annd off with the thermostats, so a cooker /hob rated at say 11kW total rated power ( 48A) will have an average current of only approx. half of that (24A).

what you have to bear in mind is diversity. with cooking appliances yo won't usually have all elements on at the same time, and they cycle on annd off with the thermostats, so a cooker /hob rated at say 11kW total rated power ( 48A) will have an average current of only approx. half of that (24A).
11kW was total 7,4 hob and 3,6 oven and it what I said to the builder that that both appliances will not be run on full, but he said it would be dangerous and illegal. I want everything to be done according regs in case I have to sell or rent house in the future.

not to worry. as i said, both oven and hob will be fine on a 32A MCB, 6.0mm cable (if cable is not smothered in insulation) . this application of diversity has been in use for 60+ years and found to be compliant. only reason to install separate circuits for oven and hob would be to isolate either if faulty and still have use of the other.

but he said it would be dangerous and illegal.
As previously stated, let him worry about slopping bricks together and let the electrician deal with the electrics. TBH if a builder that I had employed started coming out with comments like that he would be looking for business elsewhere.

the only illegal thing here is a builder sticking his snout into something about which he knows bugger all (and probably due a nice backhander from his tame sparks odd job man to install an uneccessary circuit).

Reply to DUAL APPLIANCE OUTLET PLATE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock