Discuss Dual fuel, Twin oven cooker fitting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A friend of mine is in the middle of having her cooker replaced with a dual fuel twin oven one, the gas safe engineer has refuced to fit it as he says the electricity supply is not suffecient, its a standard cooker circuit, 6mm cable fed from the 32a mcb, into the 45a cooker socket then fed down to the connection plate, she asked me to have a look for her this evening but can find nothing wrong with the circuit, is there a special requirement for dual fuel cookers or ones with twin ovens?

Rob

What's the rating of the oven? Bet you it's over 7500W and the gas fitter knows the calculation for converting watts to amps but nowt about our little friend diversity.

you can connect a cooker up to 15kw on a 32A breaker in a single domestic dwelling by applying diversity, in reality you just wouldnt, you'd give it 40a on a 10mm or something. the gas safe engineer however is still wrong.

for diversity you take the first 10A of the rated current plus 30% of the remainder of the rated current, plus a further 5a if a socket is incorporated in the isolation unit.

I think its 8.5kw but not 100% sure

You're probably right which would likely make my first reply correct. Tell your friend they have two choices, either get a different gas fitter in to connect it up or get the same gas fitter back at the same time you're there and dump a copy of the OSG under his nose at the relevant page and tell him to do his job so you can do yours. Typical of the 'i know a little therefore i am perfectly qualified to advise on something i really know sod all about' brigade from the sounds of things.

You're probably right which would likely make my first reply correct. Tell your friend they have two choices, either get a different gas fitter in to connect it up or get the same gas fitter back at the same time you're there and dump a copy of the OSG under his nose at the relevant page and tell him to do his job so you can do yours. Typical of the 'i know a little therefore i am perfectly qualified to advise on something i really know sod all about' brigade from the sounds of things.

I like this, but the like button has gone!

Reply to Dual fuel, Twin oven cooker fitting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net