Discuss Dual Rate Meter (E7) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
An Elderly friend has had an Economy 7 tariff for many years which was to charge the Old Night Storage heaters which have no gone. The Elec supplier has switched the tariff to a single rate for day and night. the problem is the property has 2 Consumer Units one has power 24/4 and one has no power to it during the day, so I guess it is only powered during the night hours.

He wants the all electrical services to be live 24/7.

The Meter has 2 outputs one to each CU.

So what are the best options?

1.Have the meter replaced for a single output and replace the 2 CUs with one?

2. Have the meter replaced for a single output and share 24/7 live supply via Henley Blocks to provide power to both CUs?

3. Leave the meter as it is and share the 24/7 live supply via Henley Blocks to provide power to both CUs? and disconnect the timed tails from the meter?

I have attached a picture of the meter and a diagram of the wiring.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dual Rate Meter (E7) Capture.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Dual Rate Meter (E7) meter - EletriciansForums.net

1. This would be the best but most expensive option. Might be really worthwhile if it adds additional protection too.

2. This would be the cheapest but still an effective option.

3. This would not be a good option as:
a) you would not be allowed as you would be cutting the meter seals to remove off peak tails...
b) would leave the off peak meter in place and I assume the tariff which would be detrimental now as they can not benefit from it

1. This would be the best but most expensive option.

2. This would be the cheapest but still an effective option.

3. This would not be a good option as:
a) you would not be allowed as you would be cutting the meter seals to remove off peak tails...
b) would leave the off peak meter in place and I assume the tariff which would be detrimental now as they can not benefit from it

Thank for the Swift reply. regarding Option 3, the tariff has now been changed. The night rate and day rate are the same so that would not be an issue. Option 3 is still not the best I guess. How about rather than disconnecting the tails from the meter they are just terminated near the CU in a Henley Block. As I said the gent is quite elderly and the property will likely be demolished when he sadly passes. we are trying to look for the cheapest but effective and legal option.

Fair enough, I like that you are keeping costs down for an elderly person.

The meter may not have seals on it.....right? Lol

Would be neater and easier to Henley them together by the meter.

Is it 16mm tails?

Fair enough, I like that you are keeping costs down for an elderly person.

The meter may not have seals on it.....right? Lol

Would be neater and easier to Henley them together by the meter.

Is it 16mm tails? Do you know the rating of fuse in the cut out?

yes 16mm tails. The seal is not there to the meter connections.

I dont know the fuse rating.

If the 27/7 live tails near the meter are connected (Via Henley) to both CUs that would work.

An Elderly friend has had an Economy 7 tariff for many years which was to charge the Old Night Storage heaters which have no gone. The Elec supplier has switched the tariff to a single rate for day and night. the problem is the property has 2 Consumer Units one has power 24/4 and one has no power to it during the day, so I guess it is only powered during the night hours.

He wants the all electrical services to be live 24/7.

The Meter has 2 outputs one to each CU.

So what are the best options?

1.Have the meter replaced for a single output and replace the 2 CUs with one?

2. Have the meter replaced for a single output and share 24/7 live supply via Henley Blocks to provide power to both CUs?

3. Leave the meter as it is and share the 24/7 live supply via Henley Blocks to provide power to both CUs? and disconnect the timed tails from the meter?

I have attached a picture of the meter and a diagram of the wiring.

Thanks for your help in advance.

View attachment 48348

View attachment 48349
Option 3 for me but don't mess with meter put Henley block on tails to night time tariff to isolate them

Reply to Dual Rate Meter (E7) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock