Discuss Dual RCD CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davidjones89

if someone can clear this up please, when upgrading a CU to comply with the current regulations, does the new unit have to be a dual RCD to avoid tripping off the entire installation in the event of a fault or is it still acceptable to have just an RCD board :confused:

Hi davidjones,

I remember that this is in the building regs somewhere, downstairs ring and upstairs lights and vice versa
on seperate RCDs. 671 doesn't tell much about that. It might be in part M of the BR?
I'm sure I read it in this forum somewhere some time ago ...

If you go to any wholesaler or even B&Q and purchase a "17th edition board" they'll come with two RCD's as standard. To completely and utterly comply with regs, in an ideal world, each circuit would be on its own RCBO, but this can be costly.

Ol' red says something like "circuits should be installed so as to minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault"

So technically a single RCD board would contravene the regs as all circuits would be lost in the event of a fault........properly inconvenient.:)

As the lads have said either a dual RCD board with up and down lights and sockets shared over the two, or a main switch board with individual RCBO's for each circuit (mucho expensivo).:D

Reply to Dual RCD CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock