Discuss Dual rcds tripping in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davem

Evening gents bit of advice required please I have recently finished a partial rewire (upstairs sockets upstairs lights and smokes). All is fine apart from when I turned under unit lights on in kitchen it tripped both rcds. There is 1 2 gang switch in kitchen 1 for main kitchen light and 1 for under unit I have taken link out from main light switch the under unit light switch and this rectified the problem no tripping but when I put link back in both tripped again and ideas guys cheers by the way pretty new to the game so be nice

You need to carry out an IR test on the suspect circuit, more than likely a NE fault.

Big mistake mate with the "new to the game" and "be nice bit"..tripped both RCDs?? christ why does none of this exciting stuff happen to me?

As above sounds like crossed neutrals, time to get the tester out

Back there tomorrow guys working Sundays love it so will do as advised I have tested all new installation and all is fine gotta test old bit tomorrow looking forward to it a will get back to you with results cheers guys

bet it's a shared neutral between 2 lighting circuits or a N in wrong bar in CU.

No borrowed neutral all lighting is segregated to individual circuits Everything works fine other than under unit lights

Can you do a diagram of how youve wired them? if not I'd have to come round and have a look at £30 per hour......sorry but nothing like this ever happenes to me cos Im perfect.

This is exactly the reason why pre-testing is so important and should be as important a job as making sure the kettle is boiled before you kill the power. test test and test again

Let us know what the fault is.

I will be nice, all I ask of you is that you do not take offence to any comments! Take it as tea break banter,

and you will be a winner

No borrowed neutral all lighting is segregated to individual circuits Everything works fine other than under unit lights

it's possible that the L feed to these under cupboard lights comes from another circuit. rather a borrowed L than a borrowed N.

Reply to Dual rcds tripping in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net