Discuss Dumb question - Drilling into an electrical cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

Just a quick simple question guys,

If you were to say drilling into a wall and their were hidden cable there. What would actually happen if you do drill into one with regards to electric shock, or does the drill usually have some kind of design safety to stop electricution.

Have you done it before?, and what was the outcome?.

Thanks for all your responses

the drill generally will be insulated as to not get a shock and hopefully the breaker or fuse should activate and blow the circuit.
oh and there'd be a loud bang!!

most drills are double insulted these days your drill bit will probably melt also!!!!

is quite funny when you hit a PABX cable with a 12mm SDS+ bit the phone starts ringing then stops when you stop the drill and then starts again....quite funny when its not you holding the drill!

Hitting a mains cable normally is quite obvious but can be dangerous if you just nick the sheath then put a conductor in the hole (expanding bolts and unisulated spanner can be apainful and dangerous.

That said i once found a live uninsulated mains cable in a stud wall when my arm was in the wall to the elbow!

I did this in Turkey and it flashe went bang melted the end of the drill bit a little and tripped the mcb and made me swear no shock tho
Paul

Reply to Dumb question - Drilling into an electrical cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock