Discuss Dumb question incoming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening guys.

I am sorry if this has been asked or if it is stupid.

I understand the logic of not fusing the neutral, but what was the logic for fusing it in the first place?

Kind regards,

Chris

Evening guys.

I am sorry if this has been asked or if it is stupid.

I understand the logic of not fusing the neutral, but what was the logic for fusing it in the first place?

Kind regards,

Chris

That's something I've been wanting to ask for a long time but was never brave enough!

Thanks for asking! ;)

think it's leftover from the old days of D.C. not sure why though. someone must have thought it a good idea at the time.

maybe because it them days the DNOs didn't possess any form of polarity tester and were covering reverse polarity.

Given the fact you were using wooden wheels Tel, I am shocked to see you imply that DC was past tense for you and more so that you don't know!!

I will leave the smart --- reply to Geordie :grin:

Given the fact you were using wooden wheels Tel, I am shocked to see you imply that DC was past tense for you and more so that you don't know!!

I will leave the smart --- reply to Geordie :grin:

don't hold your breath. up there they're still on DC,

Think about it, if your changing a lamp in a edison screw light fitting and the neutral has a blown fuse, the lamp may appear to be off but the possibility of a belt very possible, also it is possible an earth and neutral connected together yes, if so the fuse being blown in a neutral will not stop a connection to earth and an appliance working will it?

Don't forget when a neutral breaks on a connected load the neutral becomes live, for instance in a domestic situation a lighting circuit will have a nasty suprise waiting for you if you touch a neutral where lamps and ballasts are connected to a live circuit, the neutral needs to be a solid link, and again in 3 phase kit a hung neutral would potentially be able to put 400 volts across a 230 volt circuit if it is connected to a single way in a 3 phase board.

Don't forget when a neutral breaks on a connected load the neutral becomes live, for instance in a domestic situation a lighting circuit will have a nasty suprise waiting for you if you touch a neutral where lamps and ballasts are connected to a live circuit, the neutral needs to be a solid link, and again in 3 phase kit a hung neutral would potentially be able to put 400 volts across a 230 volt circuit if it is connected to a single way in a 3 phase board.

Aye ..... but the question is WHY did we used to stick a fuse in the neutral and now we don't??

You're just dodging the question cos you don't know either aren't you? :grin:

Anyway, how ya doin in the land of MDF?? :)

Reply to Dumb question incoming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net