Discuss Duration of EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to complete an EICR on an HMO property (6 room, student rental). I have done previous installation works at the property and the electrics are in VERY GOOD condition. This is confirmed on the last EICR (which I didn't complete).

The Previous electrician has only given the property a one year inspection interval which the landlord is not happy with. I understood that HMO properties can be given up to five years and I would certainly give this one more than a year. It is one of the best condition installs I have seen in a rental.

Mark.

I do quite a few student houses and give a 2 year retest period.
As Dave says, students can be a bit heavy handed and don't always care to much about their accommodation.
2 years also fits in with the pat testing so I do both at the same time.

but with students moving in and out how long will it stay in good condition? I think a 1 year interval is a good idea for a student let.

I assumed the same about the fact it is student accommodation but given the very high standards the landlord has and gets Anything replaced at the first sign of an issue (I have just replaced the boiler, when other landlords would have tried to repair the old one for many years to come).

I think two years would be fair in this instance. But it could be argued that it may have a high turnover of tenants so a year is better??

Didn't the NICEIC bring out a visual test certificate for landlords. Though like most NICEIC things they are often not worth the paper they are printed on, it gives mortals a peace of mind

The Electrical Safety Council Guide says that where a change of tenancy occurs within a short period (for example not more than 6 months) a full inspection/test may not always be required.

However, it is imperative that a landlord’s representative carries out a visual electrical safety inspection prior to reletting. This should undertake a manual test of any residual current devices.

It is though recommended that
HMOs are inspected and tested at intervals not exceeding 5 years

I would recommend a 5 year interval for a full EICR and, as Malcolm says, a visual inspection between inspections either annually or on change of tenant.
The visual inspection can be carried out by the landlord and this is something I encourage my landlord customers to do. If I am requested to carry out a visual, I usually combine this with some EFLI tests and RCD tests matched against existing test results. If no test results exist, I insist on a full EICR before I will entertain a visual inspection.

Are there any factors included in the report that might warrant a 1 yearly EICR such as very low IR results ?

As I mentioned, the installation is very good quality. Cant understand the one year retest.

All IR reading are greater than 200 and all Zs readings are well within tolerance, the previous engineer says in the report that the installation is VERY GOOD, I rarely put that unless it is exceptional but I would agree in this case.

As I mentioned, the installation is very good quality. Cant understand the one year retest.

All IR reading are greater than 200 and all Zs readings are well within tolerance, the previous engineer says in the report that the installation is VERY GOOD, I rarely put that unless it is exceptional but I would agree in this case.

In that case the previous electrician sounds either over zealous or greedy IMO.

Reply to Duration of EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net