Discuss Dusk 'til Dawn Only Flood Light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer wants a Dusk 'til Dawn only 50W+ flood light.

Currently he has the normal stand alone photo cell with a standard LED flood but is complaining that "its either one or the other" that goes and he would rather the photo cell be replaced with a JB and have a flood mounted sensor, but no PIR.

This way he can simply drop the light from the WAGOs in the JB and take it back when it fails during the warranty period rather than having to call a spark out every time and paying.

I have some sympathy as I've had this argument before where a light has a failed after our 12month parts and labour period but the fitting still has the remainder of a 3/5 year manufacturers warranty and often changing the light costs more than the light.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

Could you not just rewire the existing setup into a wiska box with wagos in to ease the removal of either the flood or photocell?

I have been using the JCC floods, no failures yet in 2 years and have a 5 year guarantee if registered within the first year!

Could you not just rewire the existing setup into a wiska box with wagos in to ease the removal of either the flood or photocell?

I have been using the JCC floods, no failures yet in 2 years and have a 5 year guarantee if registered within the first year!
Really rather obvious, Ta.

I've had several failures on pir and non pir jcc floods, have moved to ksr and so far so good, I'd recommend osram ledvance as pit some big boys up on a leisure centre, they're on a photocell everynight and now 3 years old, hopefully have not jinxed that

I don't use many of the JCC ones with PIRs, I was using the lumino ones but they kept dropping like flies and now my local place don't keep them as they had so many returned. Also had the same with tamlite!
I also use a lot of the Philips floods and have had no issues with those either.
The ledvance are also good I fitted some of those on a local village hall car park!

I've had several failures on pir and non pir jcc floods, have moved to ksr and so far so good, I'd recommend osram ledvance as pit some big boys up on a leisure centre, they're on a photocell everynight and now 3 years old, hopefully have not jinxed that
And I must have replaced almost all of the Ledvance floods I have supplied, at the very least 30 of them. I know they have been "improved" again but for obvious reasons I've not fitted any

You'll be lucky. We fitted 18x 200w osram ledvance floods and all went out within 2 years. Every single one.

You'll be lucky. We fitted 18x 200w osram ledvance floods and all went out within 2 years. Every single one.
No wayyy!! Mine were 150s, actually you know what I did have one die on a garage but they luckily supplied themselves so swapped it them selves, hopefully the others last for now! The ones I used on a leisure centre had the driver bolted to the back of them, meanwell brand, usually reliable, perhaps they cost cut them almost straight away :(

What are people using for large sizes now?

Customer wants a Dusk 'til Dawn only 50W+ flood light.

Currently he has the normal stand alone photo cell with a standard LED flood but is complaining that "its either one or the other" that goes and he would rather the photo cell be replaced with a JB and have a flood mounted sensor, but no PIR.

This way he can simply drop the light from the WAGOs in the JB and take it back when it fails during the warranty period rather than having to call a spark out every time and paying.

I have some sympathy as I've had this argument before where a light has a failed after our 12month parts and labour period but the fitting still has the remainder of a 3/5 year manufacturers warranty and often changing the light costs more than the light.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

I use a Royce Thomson photocell kit and ..
ZOOM

a Wiska Combi 407 joint box

ZOOM

The photocell has a 20mm thread on it and it unplugs so you can remove the thread using a stuffing gland and then insert the photocell.
I put the photocell on the top to make the photocell less noticeable (people after you won't realise there is a photocell in the JB)

Then any light you connect to the P12RE is controlled by the photocell

I have them about my house, the benefit of doing this is you (if you run a 3 core and earth) can have a permanent live from the switch and a switched one from a photocell.

Reply to Dusk 'til Dawn Only Flood Light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net