Discuss E.I.C.R rant by arti electrical in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If its empty its easier, two bed house today checked every light fitting and switch, all end of lines, both smokes and around 10 sockets 6 circuits in total, was done in 3 hours. After had a occupied smaller one bed place with 4 circuits took me longer.

We estimate 4 to 8 hours for an occupied house, 2 to 4 hours for an occupied flat and up to half that if empty.

(then you get the empty one bed flat with 8 day rate and 2 off peak circuits just to bugger you about)

to do the tests or does that include paper work
The whole thing, testing inspecting and cert. So first thing I do is inspect CU and Cut-out, then earthing then all fittings for damage and security of fixing. Check the physical tightness of bonding clamps and labels. Then remove fittings usually starting as 25%, more if there are signs of poor wiring like no earth on metal boxes, poorly wired sockets with no earth sleeving, remove electric shower cover and switch to check for thermal damage. Then the testing. Everything unplugged, noting neons for IR testing. Do ring final circuit tests. R1/R2 on every circuit, just attach L to earth bus bar for each circuit, use the plug device for sockets for R1/R2 this also ensures continuity of cpc and polarity. If present also check function of emergency lighting, not full three hour test though. I use my ipad as I go to note all test results and this forces me to do everything as I go. Last three bed I did was 6 hours. That house had a loft ladder so easy to inspect it quickly cables flopping all over the air space in there very poor wiring.

the one I had tested today had 6mm twin and earth being used for 2 circuits... one a ring and the other a radial for 3 sockets..... somehow the person who wired it managed to get both cables in the sockets tight.
It was the old style mk sockets.... would never work with the cheap new ones.

We had a company subcontracted to ours to help with the testing. A few of us expressed concerns to the higher ups but their response was well they're cheap. We found their paperwork wasnt adding up and upon visiting a few properties they claimed to have done found they couldn't possibly have done them.
So now we find ourselves going back over these properties and I can't count the amount of times I'm not even half way through when a tenant says
"You're more thorough than the last one...he was only here 20 minutes"
Then there was the remedials. Observations worded "plastic board" and marked as C2.
Again the higher ups were pleased with the fact they'd change a board for £80.
One property I went to they'd changed it and there were gaping holes on the top. The tenant informed me the bloke turned up in a car and even checked the rubbish In his recycling bin.

That was a big company that were doing these and they do other services to so one can only imagine the horror they leave elsewhere

We had a company subcontracted to ours to help with the testing. A few of us expressed concerns to the higher ups but their response was well they're cheap. We found their paperwork wasnt adding up and upon visiting a few properties they claimed to have done found they couldn't possibly have done them.
So now we find ourselves going back over these properties and I can't count the amount of times I'm not even half way through when a tenant says
"You're more thorough than the last one...he was only here 20 minutes"
Then there was the remedials. Observations worded "plastic board" and marked as C2.
Again the higher ups were pleased with the fact they'd change a board for £80.
One property I went to they'd changed it and there were gaping holes on the top. The tenant informed me the bloke turned up in a car and even checked the rubbish In his recycling bin.

That was a big company that were doing these and they do other services to so one can only imagine the horror they leave elsewhere
We had a similar situation on the electric board i did my apprentiship with - despite charging roughly double what most did and justifying it "because our high standards" they then took on teams of "contractors" who turned up in rusty transits complete of course with towbars.... A callback on one of their installs revealed such delights as a pipe clamp on the water with enough 10mm attached to conveniently tuck into the ceiling and no more... Unsuprisingly the contracting side of said elec co doesnt really exist any more.

Personally I don't get why these pillocks work to such low standards. My cousins one such, he's a good plumber if he tries, puts boilers on the wall for £100 a day for someone else who creams it, then he laughs at me doing "unnecessary BS" like earth clamps. I don't even try to burden him with electrical theory, I just point out that conforming to "unnecessary BS" like earth clamps is why I drive a new van with air conditioning and heated seats to work and live in my own house with a plasma telly and different rooms to choose from and he rides a 125 and lives in his dads house, but it never really hits home. Regardless of ones own opinion on various regs and standards, conforming and being in it for the long haul pays.

Reply to E.I.C.R rant by arti electrical in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net