Discuss EAL vs City and Guilds £££ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

I am a Electrical project buyer, and CAD engineer.

I am moving on to estimating and project management and I am enrolling on an Electrical installation diploma 2, to give me some more practical knowledge and confidence.

I have been offered the EAL qual for £1295 and the C&G for £2000 ?

I can't seem to get a definitive answer on what the difference is and what is the best both comprehensive course?

Any of you guys help ?

Mark

Afternoon guys,

I am moving on to estimating and project management and I am enrolling on an Electrical installation diploma 2, to give me some more practical knowledge and confidence.

I can't seem to get a definitive answer on what the difference is and what is the best both comprehensive course?

Any of you guys help ?

Mark
Not sure but I don't think the EAL course is recognised everywhere, as is CGLI courses.

Cheers Pete, thats what the Tutor for the C&G said.. but can't help think that he was pushing for a sale, as he also said I can do the level 3 after it of an evening and them I'm a qualified domestic spark, Ultimately I want to be a project manager, but would do as many qualifications as possible.

Cheers Pete, thats what the Tutor for the C&G said.. but can't help think that he was pushing for a sale, as he also said I can do the level 3 after it of an evening and them I'm a qualified domestic spark, Ultimately I want to be a project manager, but would do as many qualifications as possible.
I did say I'm not sure, so better wait until others respond before taking the plunge.

City & guilds has been around longer and is probably more well known however both ultimately lead to the same qualifications and are both JIB recognised incase your worried that only city & guilds is recognised.
If it's my money I'd take the cheapest.
I'm wanting to do the 2396 but EAL run the equivalent course a bit cheaper so I'll be choosing EAL's as both are level 4 in design and verification and are industry recognised.
In fact Niceic are pushing the EAL design course on their site.
Cheapest maybe?

City & guilds has been around longer and is probably more well known however both ultimately lead to the same qualifications and are both JIB recognised incase your worried that only city & guilds is recognised.
I'm wanting to do the 2396 but EAL run the equivalent course a bit cheaper so I'll be choosing EAL's

Cheers pal,

Like I say I want to gain some knowledge and practical experience, and not necessarily go into being a spark, but would like to do the level three off my own back and have that knowledge and training to be able to do domestic works.

So you reckon go with the cheaper of the two, that's put my mind at ease

Cheers pal,

Like I say I want to gain some knowledge and practical experience, and not necessarily go into being a spark, but would like to do the level three off my own back and have that knowledge and training to be able to do domestic works.

So you reckon go with the cheaper of the two, that's put my mind at ease
Just my opinion mate as if it was me paying for my own course I'd go the cheapest

I'm wanting to do the 2396 but EAL run the equivalent course a bit cheaper so I'll be choosing EAL's as both are level 4 in design and verification and are industry recognised.
In fact Niceic are pushing the EAL design course on their site.
Cheapest maybe?
Course they are, they know which side their bread is buttered, me I'd be prepared to go with CGLI

Last edited:
All my qualifications are city & guilds except my testing which is EAL.
I see a lot of scare mongering about how city & guilds is the be all and end and that no one will employ you if your not city & guilds,but that's usually from older sparks who don't Seam to want to move with the times because C&G is all they know.
We have apprentices on the EAL course as the college they attend have moved away from C&G
Fact is they both lead to the same thing.

Afternoon guys,

Any of you guys help ?

Mark
I don't know the definitive answer, but when I look at the 100's of electrician jobs on Totaljobs.com, almost all of them ask for city and guilds qualifications and I haven't seen any positions requiring EAL qualifications. Occasionally some positions request city and guilds or equivalent so that could be interpreted as an EAL equivalent. I believe city and guilds is probably the safer option and it's also recognised worldwide.

Ofqual write the qualifications. Eal and c&g accredit. Both approved. Cant put standards on standards. Exactly the same. Too much misinformation otherwise. Eal is cheaper because c&g can charge big money because they are well known anc cover 28 industries, eal do engineering quals only.

Reply to EAL vs City and Guilds £££ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock