Discuss Earh loop problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Was it a true ZE test? - (did you remove parallel paths before test?)

If that was a clean ZE reading then you have a poor L - E loop (loose connections dodgy cable etc etc)

Again also you could be getting parallel path on your ZS and the cpc not connected at all.

I assume you did r1 + r2 dead test?

It may sound stupid but did you check the connections from MET (if there is a seperate MET) to the CU earth bar?

If it is on every circuit you are getting a breakdown some where between MET and CU

Do you have any pics of the earthing arrangements/connections.

it is a tns system and i tested at the db on just the main earth and the sheath of the supply and reading was the same 0.75ohm. the only odd thing about it was there was some damage to the sheath of the supply and the original earth clamp had signs of arcing perhaps a previous fault and a loose clamp but still came up with a ok reading with a new clamp.

asked several electricians i used to work with and non of them could give me answer as what could be causing the high reading.

Zs = ( R1+R2) + Ze. as truckster said, could be RCDs/MCBs cocking it up. try taking a Zs reading on the busbars. if that is ridiculously high, you know it's not a problem with the circuits.

cheers for that amazing what you forget from you college days such a simple calculation and could i hell think how to do it.

yea il give that a go hopefully that will be all it is, on another note have any of you ever seen damage to the main earth clamp/sheath before from arcing?

If you've forgotten such a simple calc what sort of electrical work do you normally do?

As your post indicates you don't normally do domestic work, dare I mention notification to BC & Part P (on the basis you're in E&W)?

i assume he means england and wales. part p does not apply in scotland, southern ireland, outer mongolia, kazeckstan, '''''''''''''''

I'd test on each side of the rcds to see what if any the difference is. Also your saying that every circuit is around 114 ohms?

Is your tester working properly, as every domestic job i've done, measured Zs values differ quite a bit between say a lighting circuit and a shower or cooker radial

it is a tns system and i tested at the db on just the main earth and the sheath of the supply and reading was the same 0.75ohm. the only odd thing about it was there was some damage to the sheath of the supply and the original earth clamp had signs of arcing perhaps a previous fault and a loose clamp but still came up with a ok reading with a new clamp.

asked several electricians i used to work with and non of them could give me answer as what could be causing the high reading.[/QUOT

Who fitted the new clamp and what sort did they fit????

Reply to Earh loop problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net