Discuss Earth bond to external oil boiler.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
External oil boiler, (just outside kitchen) oil pipe buried through garden to tank. Plumber says it doesnt need bonding as its outside? Am i missing something?? Copper pipes entering house from boiler.
Thoughts

Hi - guessing the boiler will be earthed via cpc, but any pipe entering the house may need bonding I'd have thought. Perhaps confirm installation instructions whether the external boiler, external oil tank and pipework needs any special treatment. Maybe Mr Plumber's done that?

Last edited:
The last one I did the oil pipe was plastic,but if it’s metal & enters the house then it needs to be bonded.
Just like back in the good old days.

I agree if the pipes entering the property from the boiler are also copper then this is bringing an extraneous conductive part into the installation and requires a main equipotential bond.
I though that pipes had to be copper within 3 meters of a boiler but could be very wrong on that?!

Think it's normally 1m, but don't quote me on that. At the end of the day it's down to the MI's for each boiler.
To an extent, you don't care. If water clown has used plastic then no bond, if it's metallic then bond it.

Well the regulations only require the bonding of extraneous conductive parts, you are welcome to waste your time and customers money, I'll stick to the requirements! :)

Testing, testing. All I would say then, over the course of time, a lot of people have had their time & money wasted.

The PME requirements are that the tank/pipework (external) is staked down. Internally, as always a bond is fixed on the consumer side of the tap and any insulated insert. This has nothing to do with wiring regulations which are non mandatory.

Reply to Earth bond to external oil boiler.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock