Discuss Earth bonding on metal doors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just a quick one. I'm working on metal cabinets for virgin media. All the metal framework inside is bonded but the doors to the cab are not. Even though the doors are on a metal hinge and therefore connected to the cabinet, do I still need to run a 6mm earth to bond the door ? Ps the continuity reading from the inside cab to the door is low

probably a good idea to bond the doors too, the reason i advise to bond doors is that i know that earthing alarm panel lids happened many years ago.what does your contact at virgin say?

Technically they are bonded already through the hinge. it's good practice to have another bond between doors and cabinet as a precautionary if they ever came off. We've just started fitting fibre glass doors to ours as they keep getting nicked haha. Saves us a job tho.

Even if continuity through the hinges is good at present, you can't guarantee that it will stay good. So bond doors using a flexible cable, eg tri-rated wire or similar fine stranded cable.

If the doors might be expected to be removed to improve access, label the earthing points so that it's clear where the cable re-attaches.

Cheers for the responses guys. I know it's good practice to bond the doors, just wanted to know if there were any regs and what others opinions were on the matter. Maybe I was just being lazy and looking to get out of bonding all the doors lol :/

I would also say you should install a strap and not use the hinges for earth continuity.

We also use the braided straps suggested by Snowhead. You can get them pre-made in several different lengths or you can get a roll of braid and cut to size and crimp on your own lugs.

Reply to Earth bonding on metal doors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net