Discuss earth connection issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pablod

hi,

trying to find out who is responsible for the earth connection to the sheath on a property. the electrical supplier is eon. one of their engineers came down and fitted an isolator for me which was great and i asked him to look at it. he had no idea what so ever and told me ukpower networks was resonsible for cables coming in. they say no. they both said i should do it as the electrician. i said not my part of the installation. any ideas to help me out cause going round in circles here

cheers

paul

hi,
thanks for the reply. its the earthing connection on tns system. no one seems to wanna take responsibitity for it.

The DNO do not have to supply an earth.
If they do supply an earth, then they should maintain it.
Is the earth connection to the sheath broken, or just non-existant?
If it's broken then all you can do is get back in touch with the DNO and report it.
If non-existant then you will have to request an earth connection, which the customer will probablly have to pay for.
Otherwise you will have to install an earth electrode.

hi,

the connection is there its just held on with electrical tape though. cant remember ze but it was ok when tested. i dont see that as satisfactory that the reading is ok. do they normally charge for that kinda work.

many thanks

paul

They shouldn't as it's their responsibility to maintain it.
Equipment on a consumer’s premises24.—(1) A distributor or meter operator shall ensure that each item of his equipment which is on a consumer’s premises but which is not under the control of the consumer (whether forming part of the consumer’s installation or not) is—
(a)suitable for its purpose;
(b)installed and, so far as is reasonably practicable, maintained so as to prevent danger; and
(c)protected by a suitable fusible cut-out or circuit breaker which is situated as close as is reasonably practicable to the supply terminals.
(2) Every circuit breaker or cut-out fuse forming part of the fusible cut-out mentioned in paragraph (1)(c) shall be enclosed in a locked or sealed container as appropriate.
(3) Where they form part of his equipment which is on a consumer’s premises but which is not under the control of the consumer, a distributor or meter operator (as appropriate) shall mark permanently, so as clearly to identify the polarity of each of them, the separate conductors of low voltage electric lines which are connected to supply terminals and such markings shall be made at a point which is as close as is practicable to the supply terminals in question.
(4) Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer’s installation.
(5) In this regulation the expression “new connection” means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer’s installations.

Though they possibly may if it is to change from TN-S to TN-C-S.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is only held on with electrical tape they would most likely deny it was theirs. You could get into a battle with them and you may win, but as you are probably fitting a dual RCD board anyhow, would it not be a whole lot easier and quicker just to sink an rod and be done with it? - assuming, of course that a TT would be appropriate for the installation.

have you looked under the tape to see if it has a clamp or solder joint, sometimes an amalgamating tape is use just to protect the connection from moisture and corrosion.

By rights, you should be able to phone the DNO and get the information as to which system is used, along with the type and rating of the main fuse the Ze and the PFC.
If they inform you that the system is TN-S, then there should be an earth connection, which they should maintain.
If they inform you that the system is TT, then it is your customer's responsibillity to provide and maintain the earthing, and they will be unable to inform you of the Ze.

If it is only held on with electrical tape they would most likely deny it was theirs. You could get into a battle with them and you may win, but as you are probably fitting a dual RCD board anyhow, would it not be a whole lot easier and quicker just to sink an rod and be done with it? - assuming, of course that a TT would be appropriate for the installation.

WOW!! so whatever is easier and/or quicker is the better earthing arrangement for the installation!! So you wouldn't go that extra distance in trying your best, to get the local DNO to provide an ''Available'' TN earthing point for your client??

Well that says it all. Ram a rod in and move on.

pablod, have a look under the tape and be sure.

thanks for all the replies,

i wont be changing to a TT, dont see the point in PME as all it needs is soldering or brazing. alot i see are simply clamped. the job is simple for a competant engineer. nice new 16mm earth correctly connected dont seem alot to ask lol its half a meter from the met. the tape is holding it with a bit of wire hooked over part of the old clamp. will try a new approach in the morning.

If it comes to it, use some earth braid, and the spring type clamp that you find in some SWA joints.
I think Tony has a link for them .
Clean up the sheath, install the braid and clamp, then cover with self amalgamating tape.

Clamps (the spring type) are an approved method NOT a BS951 (although these are come across sometimes being used for this purpose) I don`t think soldering or brasing onto a DNO cable is recommended as you don`t have permission to interfere with the DNOs apperatus....and you don`t know how old that cable is and the type of insulation its employing and whether your actions could impair this......because if you did damage that cable....you really would be for the high jump........

ok cheers guys,

yea i def wont be touching it as its not mine to touch. it tests ok so i see it as safe very short term so dont want to make things worse.

Clamps (the spring type) are an approved method NOT a BS951 (although these are come across sometimes being used for this purpose) I don`t think soldering or brasing onto a DNO cable is recommended as you don`t have permission to interfere with the DNOs apperatus....and you don`t know how old that cable is and the type of insulation its employing and whether your actions could impair this......because if you did damage that cable....you really would be for the high jump........

Now , ....how are you going to manage damaging that DNO cable using earth braiding and spring clamp wound around the DNO cable?

If this was a case of knowing that the TN-S was a good one, and just the DNO playing silly buggers about making that earth connection off for their customer, then i'd certainly be inclined to to make that earth point in such a manner.... A nice bit of amalgamating tape to seal everything up , and it should be fine!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Hepworth clamp http://www.sicame.co.uk/Section8/8.05-8.06.pdf it needs a special tool to apply it.

There is also this Scotchcast Constant Force Springs
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/ProductInfo/ECatalogue/ElectricalEarthing/ConstForceSprings/

You may find this is what is fitted as it’s recommended it’s taped over.

Yep, ....it's the ''constant force springs'' that i would be using here, mainly because they are quick and easy to apply, and don't need a tool to maintain the constant force...

Reply to earth connection issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock