Discuss Earth fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

luem

I have a house on an estate of 8 houses in Cyprus. The houses are modern and the electrics a good standard. The electricity to the houses is supplied alternately on 2 of the phases, the 3rd phase being reserved for street lighting. Each house has a box outside in which is the meter, 80amp fuse and a 63 amp DP isolator switch. Inside the house is a consumer unit housing the MCBs and a 63 amp RCCD (all Hager). My RCCD trips out for no apparent reason, at random times. The wiring from the CU onwards has been checked and there is no earth fault. I think the cause is an earth fault in one of the houses on the same phase. Could this be so? (I'm not an electrician!!) If it is, could I safely replace the RCCD with a 63 amp DP isolator switch? I have one outside socket and that is in an IP56 enclosure with an RCCD built in.

i wouldnt think another houses fault would trip your RCD.

when you/whoever checked the wiring im guessing you did a quick RCD test to see what it brought up?

what appliances do you have plugged in when it trips? try taking all appliances out and seeing if it trips over the course of a few hours or day or whatever

Thanks for the replies.

Penance - what do you mean by faulty unit?

BoroRobbo - The trips can occur anytime, twice in 15 minutes, then days before the next!!

When the sparks were working on the next house but one, trying to locate a fault, mine tripped out about 3 times while they were working.

BoroRobbo - forgot to say, an electrician tested mine. Unplugged everything then used something like a Megger to test all the circuits.

luem, You would be best advised to get your electrician to perform 1) A leakage test of the earthing system of your installation and then the external supply with your installation isolated. 2) A ramp-test on your RCCB to measure the current at which it actually trips. From this information he/she should be able to determine the cause of the tripping and take remedial action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest keeping a log of what appliances were switched on everytime the rcd trips. It could well be that several appliances have sub-threshold earth leakage currents that cumulatively can trip the rcd. Also the rcd needs to to be properly tested at 0.5x, 1x and 5x In (30mA). Also i would get the rcd ramp tested to find what current is making it trip.

If you remove your rcd you are making your installation less safe. Better to persevere, find the problem and get it fixed. :)

Edit ; apologies for the repetition of your answer Markie - it wasn't there when i started writing lol

BoroRobbo - forgot to say, an electrician tested mine. Unplugged everything then used something like a Megger to test all the circuits.

as long as he did the tests described my markiesparkie and pushrod he should be close to determining the cause of the fault.

i know what your saying about next door when they had work being done but maybe that was coincidence... try unplugging all appliances and only using the bare minimum and keep a note of what was plugged in when it tripped

I have a house on an estate of 8 houses in Cyprus. The houses are modern and the electrics a good standard. The electricity to the houses is supplied alternately on 2 of the phases, the 3rd phase being reserved for street lighting. Each house has a box outside in which is the meter, 80amp fuse and a 63 amp DP isolator switch. Inside the house is a consumer unit housing the MCBs and a 63 amp RCCD (all Hager). My RCCD trips out for no apparent reason, at random times. The wiring from the CU onwards has been checked and there is no earth fault. I think the cause is an earth fault in one of the houses on the same phase. Could this be so? (I'm not an electrician!!) If it is, could I safely replace the RCCD with a 63 amp DP isolator switch? I have one outside socket and that is in an IP56 enclosure with an RCCD built in.

I'm afraid that very few house electrical installations in Cyprus are to a ''Good Standard!!!'' The installation will be a TT system, the RCD device will be rated at 500mA.... If what your saying about the supply arrangement is correct, and i don't think it is, ...that would be a huge unbalance. Most of the houses/villas are supplied via overhead distribution, 5 Lines (from top to bottom you have L1, L2, L3, Street lighting Live, N.) The neutral tends to be a reduced neutral...

Where abouts are you in Cyprus?? ...If your not that too far away, i might be able to pop round and have a look

Engineer 54

Thanks for the reply. The electricity supply is by underground cables from a new substation approx. 40 yds away. It only supplies our site. The RCCD is rated at 300mA. I'm only assuming alternate houses are on the same phase because when the workmen were tracing the fault at no. 24, the RCCD tripped at my house (no. 28) and at no.32 at the same time. The houses are even nod. on our side. Unfortunately Engineer 54, my house is in TRNC.

The problem with unplugging all appliances is that it can and often does go days before tripping even with all aplliances connected.

Can't say in that case, as the supply systems are going to be different. From what i hear from past European/Brit residents of the TRNS, the new house electrics are even worse than this side ...lol!!!

Is your house roded (has an earth rod)?? If not, where does the green and yellow earth wire originate from, the main supply cutout/fuse, or from the cables Steel Wire Armours earthing?? Under normal circumstances, what your describing should not happen, as RCD devices only see downstream from where they are connected in the installation, they can't see faults on the supplying lines.

My only advice to you in this situation, is basically to try and find a good Brit or European electrician to come and have a look at your set-up. Only through competent testing, will an answer be found as to what is causing your problem and hopefully a resolution....

Thanks Engineer,

I'm in UK at the moment. I don't recall seeing an earth lead in the meter box, so probably an earth rod. Do you know of a good spark on our side?

Another thought, ....You could do away with your 300mA RCD device, and replace your MCBs with 30mA RCBOs of the same rating as the MCBs being replaced. This can be a little expensive, depends on how many breakers you have in your CU. They will make your installation far more secure, as only the circuit that has a fault will trip, NOT the whole installation as you have right now... Here i can buy them at around 9 Euros a piece. Worth thinking about and a good investment in the short and long term...

Sorry i don't know of any on your side of the Island. I'm not here most of the time, and will be going off again around the end of the month ... just packing things up now!! ..lol!!!

testing the leakage on your earth system, what instrument would you use again as i forget, im thinking clampmeter but i reckon the range on this isnt low enough??? just a quickie
luem, You would be best advised to get your electrician to perform 1) A leakage test of the earthing system of your installation and then the external supply with your installation isolated. 2) A ramp-test on your RCCB to measure the current at which it actually trips. From this information he/she should be able to determine the cause of the tripping and take remedial action.

Thanks Engineer,

I'm in UK at the moment. I don't recall seeing an earth lead in the meter box, so probably an earth rod. Do you know of a good spark on our side?

Just out of interest where are you in the TRNC - i usually spend a couple of weeks in Yesiltepe (towards Alsancak) in the summer - mind i don't pack all my tools;)

You are doing the right thing disconnecting your appliainces one thing to highlight though the appliances that can cause it is washing machines, dishwashers etc but one thing you did not mention was do you have a pool and if so the pumps that feeds it could have problems so if this is the case swith the pump off for a day and if no trips then Dos San Maguels Porv vavor or is that in another coumtry then !!

Mind you my other half has always wanted to go to cyprus I wonder if customs will let me take my trusty 1553 ?

Another thought, ....You could do away with your 300mA RCD device, and replace your MCBs with 30mA RCBOs of the same rating as the MCBs being replaced. This can be a little expensive, depends on how many breakers you have in your CU. They will make your installation far more secure, as only the circuit that has a fault will trip, NOT the whole installation as you have right now... Here i can buy them at around 9 Euros a piece. Worth thinking about and a good investment in the short and long term...

Thanks for that, you're really helpful. I was thinking along the same lines ie. RCBO. It's a 10 way, ranging from 6, 16 and 32 amp. If I put RCBOs on, could I replace the RCCD with a 63 amp DP isolator. Where can I get them in the South for 9 euros? Will they fit on the Hager Din rail?

Just out of interest where are you in the TRNC - i usually spend a couple of weeks in Yesiltepe (towards Alsancak) in the summer - mind i don't pack all my tools;)

Thanks Pushrod. My house is in Karsiyaka, just along the road. I'm out on 4 May for 2 months

You are doing the right thing disconnecting your appliainces one thing to highlight though the appliances that can cause it is washing machines, dishwashers etc but one thing you did not mention was do you have a pool and if so the pumps that feeds it could have problems so if this is the case swith the pump off for a day and if no trips then Dos San Maguels Porv vavor or is that in another coumtry then !!

Mind you my other half has always wanted to go to cyprus I wonder if customs will let me take my trusty 1553 ?[/QUOTE ]

Thanks Oldtimer. I do have a pool, on its own circuit 32amp MCB in CU. The spark went into the pool room to test the pump but he didn't check anything in the cabinet in the pool room ie. contactor, timer etc. The problem is I have an outside pump for the water supply, a well pump (submersible in the well) and a pump for the garden irigation system. These are all spurred off the 32 amp ring main. I suppose RCBOs is the best route as otherwise "needle in haystack" springs to mind!!

Reply to Earth fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock