Discuss Earth leakage clamp meter recommendations in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals?),

My first post, so be gentle! Still new to this game and building up my tool collection - been quoted £192 for the sensitive current clamp attachment for my Metrel 17th edition multimeter. Got an earth leakage problem to look at so need the tool - any other/cheaper recommendations for a self contained, dedicated earth leakage tester?

i got mine for £50. alphatek 633. try the forum sponsor, test-meter.

Hi guys (and gals?),

My first post, so be gentle! Still new to this game and building up my tool collection - been quoted £192 for the sensitive current clamp attachment for my Metrel 17th edition multimeter. Got an earth leakage problem to look at so need the tool - any other/cheaper recommendations for a self contained, dedicated earth leakage tester?

It all depends on what you want to do and how often you'll be using it.

I use the Megger DCM 300E and this measures from 0.01mA to 300A with a data hold facility but you might get away with a £50 meter for a 1 off problem.

Welcome to the forum too!

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm guessing with the increasing use of RCDs earth leakage will become more of an issue with nuisance tripping. I'm looking for the most efficient way of finding the offending circuit and presuming this is the way to go. Any alternative advice?

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm guessing with the increasing use of RCDs earth leakage will become more of an issue with nuisance tripping. I'm looking for the most efficient way of finding the offending circuit and presuming this is the way to go. Any alternative advice?

There is a process of elimination method using a ramp test.

With everything energised, ramp test the RCD, let's say it trips at 18mA

Now repeat the test with each circuit isolated in turn.

If your ramp test jumps up to say 25mA with a particular circuit isolated then you've (probably) found the source of the problem leakage.

tel they've discontinued the 633, the only 1s test meter do now is quite steep but if u email im sure they will be happy to help u. they helped me loads

Hi. I use a Di-Log DL6507 for this sort of thing. It seems to do the job, but it doesn't strike me as robust. They seem to sell for around the £100 mark.

I must say that I haven't compared it to a more up-market meter, but I decided that for the amount of use I give it, I couldn't really justify a three or four hundred pound expense on a dedicated "decent" meter.

IQ Electrical 's idea seems good.

P.S. Also my first post. Hello everyone.

Dominic.

Reply to Earth leakage clamp meter recommendations in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net