Discuss Earth leakage relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, im looking for advice on a dorman smith sensel SRD earth leakage relay. I am doing an EICR on a caravan park, the Earthing system is TT and a sensel SRD relay fitted to load side of 200 amp main switch feeding various pillars. Relays have 4 settings from 30mA to 2000mA with time delay also, is this recognised as an RCD as required as I cant achieve RCD trip times from this, maybe faulty, should a 3 phase RCD time delay be installed. Thanks

What was the relay set at when you tested it and what test current were you using? What trip times did you get? Did you consult the manufacturers data to know what the tripping times should be for that setting?
What protection is this earth leakage relay providing? Presumably it's fault protection for the TT part of the installation?

What was the relay set at when you tested it and what test current were you using? What trip times did you get? Did you consult the manufacturers data to know what the tripping times should be for that setting?
What protection is this earth leakage relay providing? Presumably it's fault protection for the TT part of the installation?

Relay set at 30ma and 0.2 secs, didn't get it to trip on any setting, also test button does not operate main switch, manufacturer gave me trip times info, if this was an RCD I would just fail and replace but I'm nor familiar with this device or how to test it properly.

If in doubt read up on what you are dealing with.. then your in a position to make an informed judgement call..

http://www.semitek.cz/tyco/amp_konektory/general/20701_datapak.pdf

About page 35 on the written page number or about 37 if your using your page search.

Check the main switch model and any trip function fitted then read up on that too... took me 30seconds to locate the above info.

Once you have read up on how it all connects and works then your in a good position to answer your own question.

PS never disconnect/open circuit the CT's if the system is powered, never re-energise a system with the CT's open circuit this is very dangerous and can cause very high voltages and fire... if you not sure what I'm talking about then leave any CT connections well alone.

Last edited:
Relay set at 30ma and 0.2 secs, didn't get it to trip on any setting, also test button does not operate main switch, manufacturer gave me trip times info, if this was an RCD I would just fail and replace but I'm nor familiar with this device or how to test it properly.

Did you set your tester correctly to account for the 0.2 second tripping delay? Did you hold the test button for long enough to avoid the tripping delay (some earth leakage relays apply the delay to the test button)

If you don't know what you are doing then I would suggest you employ the services of someone who does.

Reply to Earth leakage relay in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net