Discuss Earth Loop Impedance Table 17th Edition in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For why we use the 80% value, have a look at appendix 14 (or thereabouts) in the BRB, and it will explain all.

Table 2E is the corrected values to 80% for the reason above, but the 100% value in the regs still has to be stated on any paperwork.

Quote from Appendix 2 of OSG - first paragraph.

The tables in this appendix provide max permissible measured earth fault loop impedences Zs............... .............The values are those that must not be exceeded in the tests carried out under 10.3.6 at an ambient temp of 10 deg C. Table 2E provides correction factors for other ambient temperatures.

What is that trying to explain then?

Quote from Appendix 2 of OSG - first paragraph.

The tables in this appendix provide max permissible measured earth fault loop impedences Zs............... .............The values are those that must not be exceeded in the tests carried out under 10.3.6 at an ambient temp of 10 deg C. Table 2E provides correction factors for other ambient temperatures.

What is that trying to explain then?
OSG is the mini BS7671
and GN3 tells the truth in plain old english :)

So let me get this straight then.

BS7671 gives max Zs for normal conductor operating temperature

OSG applies the correction factor for an ambient temp of 10 deg C

GN3 states that the figures are only to be used if the ambient temp is 10 - 20 deg C - any lower or higher than this range then the correction factors must be applied.

GN3 also states that the tabulated figures only apply if the nominal voltage is 230V

If the variables you have differ from the above then you must calculate to ascertain your max allowable Zs.

Is that right?

lol, welcome to the art of testing, BS7671 is the bible. I think what is important here is the actual reading obtained, if the reading is close to the max Zs allowed, then I would suggest doing some calculations. Otherwise I would just stick to what BS 7671 states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always go by the BRB and like previous posts say if the reading you are getting is close to it then you will have to carry out calculations to see if it passed the 80 percent figure. This figure is used for to compensate for various variables including temperature and the way I se is is the IEE's way of erring on the side of caution

Reply to Earth Loop Impedance Table 17th Edition in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock