Discuss Earth rod and bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just done an EICR on an install earthed TT . The Ze on the rod was high 245 ohms , which in theory is fine as it is less than 1667 and the equation Ra X 0.03 > 50v is satisfied .
When the gas and water bonds are reconnected the Ze drops down to 4.4 ohms ,

Do I put another rod in ?
The property is in a built up area with pme available , do I get the Dno to fit pme ?

it's the gas and water pipes bring down the Ze. rather than relying on that, a PME system would be advantageous.

Yes an enquiry for pme would be worth it if the customer fancies the outlay. The measured ze would be worth a mention on the report, as would the less than desirable situation of RCDs providing fault protection where a viable and more reliable alternative exists.

The rod resistance shouldn't exceed 200 ohms. It is nearly always the case for it to drop with the bonding connected due to parallel paths. This resistance could even increase in the drier months so yes I would try to look at PME.

Earthrod is unstable you can't rely on the fact that gas and water pipe bonding brings tears resistance down as metallic pipes may be replaced in future with plastic equivalents. Either install new rod or tnc-s enquiry

Reply to Earth rod and bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Would like some advice on the below. Context: Rural French domestic installation TT system Earth rod is situated inside the property...
Replies
Views
Is this earth electrode a genuine, made-for-the-job earth rod, or is it something improvised? With the 2 nuts clamping the earthing conductor...
Replies
Views
I have just watched one of John Ward's interesting videos - It all makes sense apart from one of the final points involving adding an earth rod...
Replies
Views
I'm new to this but stuck with an issue, so I'm looking for some help wherever possible. I have just completed a rewire, which I have a potential...
Replies
Views
EICR recently done, Swa sub mains armouring used for cpc & MEBPC. Installed 40 years ago, water/gas/structural bonding required, these are @ 10mm...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock