Discuss Earth rod fluid in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Deleted account

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some where on this forum a while ago someone mentioned poring a special fluid (not urine) or resin down a hole by earth rod to improve surface area connection to the mass of earth in high resistance areas.

What is this fluid/ resin called.

I need to earth a new supply on. Very stoney, shale type ground. A 3 meter trench has been dug on site and the shale earth goes all the way.

could always pour a couple of pints of mercury down. :p

Marconite is the best, but involves mixing with cement to form a conductive concrete.

Bentonite is good.

Urea is also good an probably cheapest but stinks to high heaven
Probably go with Marconite. After reading up on it.

A pre mix bag costs about £100 25kg

There are 2 new supplies. Will the 25 kg bag be enough for 2 2 meter earth rods do you think.

What size and would it do 2 rods at 2 meters each.
I’m not 100% but rather than use a rod you can pour 50% of the mix in a trench, strip back a couple of meters of 16mm and lay out on top of the mix then add the rest to fill the trench, ideal if no soft ground in the area as it can act as a path foundation etc.

I’m not 100% but rather than use a rod you can pour 50% of the mix in a trench, strip back a couple of meters of 16mm and lay out on top of the mix then add the rest to fill the trench, ideal if no soft ground in the area as it can act as a path foundation etc.

Used to do this often in the quarries. Around new substations we would trench a perimeter, an lay 35mm bare copper in exactly the method you describe.

Sounds interesting. Is this acceptable. Where would you put your safety electricAl connection notice

They will normally give a m^2 coverage in the data sheet.

How big's the hole you are putting the rods in?

I was going to dig down a meter and put a 1 meter soil pipe down to stop stone and slate falling in on rod. Hammer 2 meter rod in and pore resin into soil pipe.
Remove soil pipe while still runny so resin spreads into surrounding stones and ground and gives a good surface area for earth path.

Sounds interesting. Is this acceptable. Where would you put your safety electrical connection label
Label on the point of connection to the installation so at the earth terminal.

You are installing an electrode, this could be a rod, tape, cable, steel reinforcement etc.

Label on the point of connection to the installation so at the earth terminal.

You are installing an electrode, this could be a rod, tape, cable, steel reinforcement etc.
If I’m stripping back the 16mm earthing cable and laying it into the compound I am not actually connecting the earthing cable to anything other than at the CU side. but I do need to inform people not to interfere with the point of contact with earth.

How did you label it when you did it this way?

If I’m stripping back the 16mm earthing cable and laying it into the compound I am not actually connecting the earthing cable to anything other than at the CU side. but I do need to inform people not to interfere with the point of contact with earth.

How did you label it when you did it this way?
At your point of connection like any other electrode. The only other way to interfere with the cable is to dig it up.

At your point of connection like any other electrode. The only other way to interfere with the cable is to dig it up.
Or cut it.

I like the idea strima and I am going to go for it with the addition of actually connecting part of the stripped back 16mm cable at the insulated end to a 1meter rod shoved in the ground. This way I get that safety connection notice I’m concerned about and earthed by rod and earthed by 16 mm cable surounded by marconite resin.
Cheers.

Please don't pay £100 for a bag of marconite!! If you're anywhere near Whiltshire you can get it from Telkom for about £30 a bag or have courier delivery. Just will need to buy some cement but certainly beats paying 100 quid.

If you're backfilling a rod with it make sure you make it sloppy and widen the hole with the rod if possible for each one you drive on top

Or cut it.

I like the idea strima and I am going to go for it with the addition of actually connecting part of the stripped back 16mm cable at the insulated end to a 1meter rod shoved in the ground. This way I get that safety connection notice I’m concerned about and earthed by rod and earthed by 16 mm cable surounded by marconite resin.
Cheers.
Why so concerned about a label? If buried place a strip of electrical warning tape above it as recommended in several publications. If someone wants to cut a cable then a label won’t stop them.

If you've already got an open trench there that's deep enough then join some earth rods tigether and lay them in it horizontally. Add conductive cement and voila!

Reply to Earth rod fluid in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock