Discuss Earth rod needs to be installed-EDF's responsiblity??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

ladyb

Hi guys,

sorry for gatecrashing your forum, I am not an electrician, but hope someone can help with the following:

A British Gas electrician detected a earth reading of 8ohms in my flat and advised to call out EDF to get this sorted asap, he also said it is their responsiblity to ensure electricity is supplied safely into my property and that they will deny this. Excatly the same happened, EDF emergency service came out and claimed its my responsiblity to get an earth rod installed, they can do it for me ( as any qualified electrician can), but it's a chargeable service.
Any idea who is right and who is wrong?Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Sandra

Sorry to be the tidings of bad news but earth rods are the customers responsibility not EDF your british gas electrician is wrong.

If you let us know what area you are in (not your full address) hopefully someone on the forum can help you out

Chris

I've got to do one of these next week, edf came out and said the property was never supplied with an earth so they had no obligation to supply one.

Thanks for your reply...it sounded too good to be true;)!
I live in South West London, Tooting/Streatham Area, is this earth rod business a big job, as in expensive?Flat is a one bed with garden, where the rod could be installed.

I had exactly the same last week rung edf as property was earthed through water pipe every other house in street was tns rung edf and asked what earthing system was in place, they lied and said they don't keep records as under esqcr regs if they supplied an earth it is their duty to maintain it. Think it's escqr reg 28 but not sure. So your British gas spark is right but edf will avoid this issue and say bang a rod in so rather than waste time talking to edf muppets just bang a rod in. Cheers

Unfortunately it may need to go further than just 'banging a rod in',as it will be a TT system, in practice all circuits will need to be RCD protected if they are not already.

Unfortunately it may need to go further than just 'banging a rod in',as it will be a TT system, in practice all circuits will need to be RCD protected if they are not already.

Who says it's a TT system? Unless she's using water/gas as a main earth and there is no earth rod present. If there is an earth rod present then why does the OP need a second one?

For all we know it could be a TNS with a terrible earth fault loop, in which case it is up to the DNO to repair.

OP, could you post a picture up of your service head/meter please?

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm interesting... if it is a TT then 8 ohms would be fine if it it is a TN then there is an earth supplied by the supplier and it is there responsibility-( depending on where it has been measured from) . Right or wrong ???

mmm interesting... if it is a TT then 8 ohms would be fine if it it is a TN then there is an earth supplied by the supplier and it is there responsibility-( depending on where it has been measured from) . Right or wrong ???

Correct, but it might not be either of those. As I said, the water/gas may be being utilised as the main earth.

Correct, but it might not be either of those. As I said, the water/gas may be being utilised as the main earth.

yeah take your point, mind a service pipe should never have been used an earth in the first place (at least not according to today's version of the regs :rolleyes:)

Reply to Earth rod needs to be installed-EDF's responsiblity??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net