Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Earth size for TT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TJC1

-
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Got chatting to another electrician today who said about using 16mm earth for TT. Not that i have ever had to put steak in but am i right in saying its 10mm for a TT system?

Aico 3000
Scolmore Electrical Products
telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
it's 2.5mm min. if protected mechanically and against corrosion. and my steak is in the pan, ready to cook with chips.

Baddegg

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
I thought it could be a minimum of 2.5 with mechanical protection.....depends on ze obviously

Beat me @telectrix :)

Dave OCD

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
With a TT arrangement and assuming the rod or rods is relatively close to the MET the Ze will not be significantly different whether you're using 2.5mm,4mm,6mm,10 mm or 16mm. Although I'd always use 10mm just for the mechanical strength and durability.

D

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
I would be happy to use 2.5 mm protected :)
I suspect any reduction of earth resistance by using larger size cable to ground (other than for reasons of mechanical protection) is minimal,driving in longer electrodes would probably help,but why go to all the trouble when the cable generally only needs to carry 30 m/amp to operate a RCD,your 10mm should be fine if your not burying

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
I would also be inclined to use 10mm
as above, it has more physical strength, who really wants to add mechanical protection to a cable so they can save £5 on the job?
10mm is always on the van so it just seems like a good choice for 99% of the jobs.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Earth size for TT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom